1

5 MONTHS EARLIER

Abrielle;

Canada is very very different from Honduras, where I came from. It's cold, and it's huge.

I walk into Pine Ridge Secondary School with my host brother, Gabe, and take a deep breath.

We enter the office and a perky, blonde haired, woman, whom I assumed was the school's secretary, greets us.

"Hi! How can I help you guys today?" She asks with a large amount of enthusiasm. "I'm Abrielle Ruiz, an exchange student from Honduras." I smile and look over at Gabe, who nods his head in approval.

"Oh, okay! Well, welcome!" She says while, quickly, typing something on her computer. She runs over to the printer, which was in the back of the office, and returns with a crisp sheet of paper.

"Here's your schedule. Have a great first day!" I thank her as I take it and proceed to follow Gabe out of the dull office.

First period; AP Chemistry - B206
Second period; Spanish (Native) - P7
Third period; Physics - D118
Fourth period; Pre calculus - E102
LUNCH
Fifth period; Health Science - B103
Sixth period; AP English II - E205
Seventh period; US History - D106
Eighth period; Cheer - GYM

"B206 is upstairs," Gabe says as he starts walking in the direction of the stairs. I follow close behind as we walk down the wide hallway, and I notice the stereotypical groups scattered throughout.

There's the jocks, the popular girls (who flirt with Gabe as we walk by), the nerds, and the couples who are practically swallowing each other whole.

Gross.

We finally arrive at the stairs and we go up, taking two at a time.

Well, I guess I'll get getting a leg workout every day.

When we reach the top, I look around and see that there are halls A-F either to the left or the right of me. "This is B hall," Gabe points at the 'B' that is on the wall.

We walk down the hall and arrive at my classroom, B206. "Have a good day, I'll see you at lunch." He pulls me in for a brief hug. I walk into the dull classroom and see the teacher standing at the front of the classroom, eyes buried in his phone. He quickly glances up at me and grabs his clipboard from his un-organized desk.

"Name?" "Abrielle Ruiz." "Seat 16," he replies, bluntly. I nod and readjust my backpack as I walk to find my seat. There's 3 rows of 4 lab tables, so 12 tables total.

I finally find seat 16 and there's a tall, brown haired, boy sitting in seat 15, which is right next to mine.

I set my backpack down on the table and hear a low whistle come from behind me. I turn around to see a boy with brown hair that was cut in the '2007 Justin Bieber' style.

"You must be new," he says, a smirk playing on his pink lips. "Yeah," I reply before turning around to face the front of the room. "Where are you from?" "Honduras." "Ooh foreign g-" "Cam shut up," the boy sitting next to me snaps while laughing and rolling his hazel eyes.

He looks over at me with an apologetic look. "Sorry he's annoying." "It's fine," I reply while smiling at the cute boy.

The bell rings, signaling the start of class, and the teacher sets his phone face down on his desk. "Hi everyone. I'm Mr.Bennett and I'll be your Chemistry teacher for your junior year. Go ahead and get to know the person sitting next to you." I turn to face the boy sitting next to me and start to introduce myself.

"Hi, I'm Abrielle."

"Shawn Mendes."