Flashback pt.5

" Hate? What are you on about Stiles? Why do you hate us?" Lydia asked, her voice tinged with confusion.

Stiles smiled, but this smile was not full of joy, it was full of anger and sadness, of loneliness and hatred.

The rest of the pack looked to each other for answers, yet they were stumped.

Stiles placed the can down onto the porch and slowly turned around heading back into the house, a few seconds late he emerged clutching a card in his hand.

Allison was the first to dash forward, desperate to understand Stiles' plight. She picked up the card and gasped as she read and read, for in her hand was the card the Sheriff had written to his son for today, Stiles' 18 th birthday.

" I... I.... Stiles... I'm so sorry.... I.... Oh... Oh god.." Allison chocked out the last few words as tears began to stream down her face.

Scott grabbed the card from her clutched and read it out to the pack, as the words tumbled out of his mouth he bang to stutter, stray tears running down his cheeks.

His best friend, the person who meant the most to him had been forgotten on one of the most special days, not only his birthday but the anniversary of his Mothers Death.

Derek took deep breaths in and out trying to control his anger, he was heartbroken to know that no one had informed him of his mates birthday, let alone this was the day his mother died.

Stiles chuckled deeply, causing everyone to look up from the heartbreaking piece of paper in their hand to the boy who was crumbling before their very eyes.

" Morbid isn't it. My dead mom remembers my birthday, but my "best friends" don't. When I look at you guys, you know what I think. I think, the only people who haven't treated me like shit, who haven't degraded me or abused me, who haven't verbally and physically assaulted me, stand at a total of three. It seems only Allison, Peter and Derek have the heart to at least tolerate me, whilst the rest of you couldn't stray further from that idea."

Stiles once again turned around and headed back inside, a few minutes later her emerged with a small box, a picture, a lighter and a couple of large Tshirts.

" Allison come here."

Stiles nodded at her and she obliged, swiftly walking over the ash and making her way up the stairs towards Stiles. Stiles held out the small box and placed it into her open hands. She whimpered at the contact, and he internally sighed when he lost her warmth.

" This is all the research I've done. Please only let you, Derek or Peter see it. I couldn't bear if the others saw it, they don't deserve to this knowledge but you three do."

Derek and Peter glanced at each other, both held a soft spot for the boy - but in very different ways.

He motioned for Allison to cross back over, and she slowly did, but not before turning to Stiles one more time and giving a half smile, which he returned but the look of disgust and hatred a towards the others was ever present in his eye.

He placed the large shirts down on the ground, and the whole pack knew they belonged to Derek, Derek himself held in a deep breath, debating whether stiles was going to keep these old shirts Derek had secretly given him or return them back

For either way would be heartbreaking.

Stiles glanced at the shirts on the ground, they comforted him in his darkest moments and he never truly understood why Derek showed up that lonely night and presented him with them. He couldn't stomach giving them back, slowly reaching forward he picked them and pulled them to his chest.

Derek could only let out what was a momentary sigh of relief, his mate had shown a glimmer of affection, even though Stiles possessed no idea of his true importance to Derek. Derek held eye contact with Stiles, silently pleading him to break the ash and let him in.

Stiles was conflicted, he couldn't give this pack the satisfaction of believing they could sweet talk him into forgiveness. But Dereks actions stood out like a diamond in the mud, he felt a draw to Derek, one that he couldn't explain. He knew that blocking them all out was the only way to heal, but a voice within him pleaded to not block out Derek.

To not give up on him.

With one last look at his once loved friends, Stiles tightened his grip on the shirts in his chest and started to head back inside. As he made his way to the door, he stopped and took a quick glance at Derek, the trace of smile barely evident to anyone but Derek.

Derek knew. He knew Stiles had not given up on him.

He knew he still had a chance to heal his mate, even after the atrocities he had been through by the very people that call themselves his pack members.