Chapter 3

Pebblescar sat with his tail curled around his paws, eyes anxiously on the ground as he waited for Hailtail. Paw-steps sounded. His head shot up. "Hello?" I sound guilty. Pebblescar looked up at Troutstar, a pale gray tom with fiery hazel eyes. 

Troutstar dipped his head, and Glimmerstream padded up to sit nearby. 

"We have some... discussion," Troutstar began, giving one of his fury-driven glances to Glimmerstream. She seemed to wilt a little, ears drooping and posture slumping. "According to Glimmerstream, she was angry at you."

Pebblescar nodded for confirmation.  

"And you said some thing that you shouldn't have," the leader continued, hazel eyes seeming calm before the storm.

He gave Glimmerstream a confused glance, but she just quickly looked down. 

"But attacking another cat is no solution, right Glimmerstream?" Troutstar meowed deeply, a growl entering his tone. She rose her head meekly, looking so small and innocent under the leader's towering form. "So I'm going to devise a punishment with my senior warriors." The she-cat flinched at the thought; Pebblescar wondered what the punishment would be. Then a thought occurred to him: Would he be demoted for whatever Glimmerstream claimed he did? He had worked long and hard for his deputy position and having it taken away would hurt more than anything, no matter what... world he was in.

Troutstar turned around, flicking his tail. The pale gray tom padded away toward the warrior's den.

When he came back, the senior warriors were on his tail: Shallowtail, Ripplefoot, Lakestrike, and Reedstorm. They sat a tree-length away from Glimmerstream and Pebblescar. Troutstar cleared his throat, looking to begin a long discussion. Hailtail joined them, giving a look to the dark gray tom before leaving.

"Why?" he meowed softly once Hailtail was out of earshot. 

Glimmerstream snorted. "Do you think that I'm going to get you kicked out of RiverClan before making sure I have proof? I'm not stupid, a young warrior accusing the deputy of killing another young, lost, warrior doesn't look too solid," the she-cat hissed. "So watch out, Pebblescar, because the second I find you guilty, you're dead."

The second Glimmerstream dropped her snarl, Troutstar padded back over. "We have decided," he meowed, gesturing toward his posse of warriors. "Glimmerstream, what you did was wrong, but considering your mental state after what happened to Cinderclaw, your only punishment will be no going to Gatherings until leafbare. Pebblescar, a cat saying such horrible things to Glimmerstream seems unreasonable, and we have no exact proof. But my warriors are honest, so you will be stepping down from your deputy position for a moon. Reedstorm will stand in your place."

The dark brown tom gave him an apologetic nod as Troutstar dismissed the small meeting. Pebblescar just stared at him, fury building in the pit of his stomach. I have the sudden craving for revenge.

After closing his eyes in his nest, Pebblescar opened them to light filtering through the branches of the RiverClan warrior den. He got up, feeling disoriented. 

He had been demoted. A sudden rush of concern sparked in his belly, and Pebblescar darted out of the den. He raced toward Troutstar, who was sitting bathed in the morning light.

"Ah, there you are!" the pale gray tom purred, looking rather happy considering that he had just demoted his deputy. Oh yeah, other world. Pebblescar swallowed his pride and smiled back.

"I was wondering if I could organize patrols today?" he asked, testing his leader. Hopefully whatever this was hadn't carried over. 

Troutstar laughed softly. "Of course! You are my deputy, after all."

Pebblescar padded away, feeling much better now that his position was confirmed. He poked his head back into the warrior's den. "Shallowtail, Minnowfrost- can you go fetch your apprentices and patrol near Sunning Rocks?" he asked the half-asleep cats. Minnowfrost looked up from grooming her pelt and nodded, eyes twinkling. Shallowtail hardly paid him any attention but agreed nonetheless. "Gartooth, Pikenose, Reedstorm. You guys can go fish at the river." After assigning himself to a fishing patrol with Lakestrike and Cinderclaw's sister, Oakfire, he found himself padding down the riverside with the two she-cats.

"So, Pebblescar," Oakfire meowed, speeding up her strides to match his. He gave her a tense glance; practically the entire forest knew of the awkwardness between him and Cinderclaw. "I hear that Minnowfrost and you are hitting off well." Her eyes twinkled. 

Pebblescar's eyes widened. He gave a glance toward Lakestrike, who was marching diligently ahead. "Where'd ya hear that?" the dark grey tom frantically whispered.

Oakfire chuckled softly as Lakestrike called for them to stop and fish, turning toward the river. Pebblescar took a few steps away from the white she-cat, listening to the gravel shift under his paws. 

"Shallowtail told Greenflower, and you know how she is with gossip."

That... that fox-heart! Now Minnowfrost would probably know that he liked her, and she would go to Cinderclaw, and he would die alone. Maybe that's a little too melodramatic...  "Great," he groaned. "I hate when those two spread rumors."

Oakfire seemed to brighten up a little. "Yeah, ever since Greenflower became a queen, its gotten even worse! Like, did you hear that rumor about Troutstar? They're saying that he's the father of Echonose's kits!" 

"Stop chattering and start fishing," Lakestrike called crossly from downstream. Pebblescar knew her interference was about that rumor; she was Troutstar's mate and the father of his only kit, Bumblepaw. 

 Pebblescar turned his head to the water. Maybe in two worlds he could have Minnowfrost.

A/N: I'm super sorry! This was supposed to be posted last Sunday, but I forgot! I hope you guys like this chapter :) -Rio