Chapter 24

Chapter 24

A callous crackling breached the tainted silence as a swerving breeze swept prominently through the treetops. It carried a piercing whistle sharply defined by a chilling tone to its spiky song, jagged notes and an uneasy tempo conducted by a wayward cloud. Sorrowful leaves fell hopelessly to the ground, twirling in shattered hope and dying as they hit the ground silently. Misery hung in the atmosphere, and it couldn't be shook; it rattled bones of trespassers in a sadistic manner, no mercy shown in the wind.

Pitiful mewls echoed hopelessly through the air as they pulsed from a broken home. Terror twined in the ruckus and sparked the noise with youth, grief and loneliness prominent in such a wail. Secrecy lied with them as a presence hushed them sharply, but no form of discipline could silence such a call. Pebblescar couldn't suffice to his own wishes, however drastic they were.

Pattering forced him into a cold shiver, a light amount of rain crashing inside his lair against his pelt. He ushered the kits back to keep them away, but his thoughts seemed glued elsewhere. Reedkit whimpered softly, quietening himself as he was met with the ominous scowl he learned to fear. Pebblescar's promises never followed through; Reedkit missed the sanctuary of his Mother, longed for her reassurance in his perky little ear.

"I want Minnowfrost!" Rainkit squeaked defiantly, her confidence far greater than her brothers'.

Pebblescar grunted. "We have to go and save her, remember? From the ShadowClan warriors!"

He felt his eyes haze over as the scene he longed to make a reality washed over his senses. The blood of a treacherous foe dripping from his claws, the rush of triumph through his veins, and the loving gaze of Minnowfrost meeting his as she succumbed to him finally. He could almost feel her fur twining with his, smell her scent stronger than ever. He'd made such a perfect existence elsewhere, why was the correct one such a disappointment?

"Pebblescar, I'm hungry!"

Pebblescar snapped his head around and laid eyes on Pebblekit, his stare filled with need. He gulped in slight guilt as he admired the kits stature; his small paws shook violently, and the gentle sound of his belly rumbling caught his attention. He sighed quietly, pondering a solution.

"Why don't I go and find us some fish? You like fish, right?" he suggested uncertainly.

Pebblekit frowned. "It sounds yucky."

Rainkit nudged her brother gently, her intentions positive. "But RiverClan warriors always tell their apprentices that fish will make them strong!"

Reedkit lit up, his claws unsheathed ready to pounce. Pebblescar chuckled at the mere size of them; they resembled a shredded thorn. "We have to be strong to save Minnowfrost! Can we have fish, Pebblescar?"

He nosed the kit playfully, toying at his flyaway fur. "Of course, but you must promise to stay here while I'm gone."

Rainkit shuddered. "But what if the kit-eaters come?"

"They won't, I made sure of it," Pebblescar assured her patronisingly.

Reedkit rested his tail on his sister's back. "Besides, you have your big, strong brothers to take care of you!"

Pebblekit mumbled in agreement, gazing longingly out at the scene outside. Pebblescar frowned at the kits worrying curiosity, but he kept his frets to himself.

"Alright, I'll be back soon. And remember, stay here," he reminded them, bidding the kits goodbye.

He hauled himself out of the partially raised den he resided in, gazing back momentarily at the kits he left behind. Rainkit and Reedkit smiled broadly, but Pebblekit stared mournfully at him. What's the matter with that kit?