Chapter 23

Troutstar paced back and forth in his den, gritting his teeth together as the sound of steady murmuring echoed in his ears. Outside, all of RiverClan was rushing around the crowded camp, spreading rumors and gossiping. He feared stepping outside his den, for every little thing that the leader said would be scrutinized for evidence.

Finally, after much consideration and thought, the light gray tom padded out of his den, ears flattened against the skull as he cleared his throat, attracting the attention of the Clan. Every pair of eyes were anxiously staring into the leader, waiting for the answers that he didn't have. Hope sparked in their posture; apprehension was thick in the air.

"I—I know that we are all upset in this time of grief," he began, eyes darkening with each word. "I know that we all want to know what happened. But, I will tell you this—Pebblescar is gone. His scent has not been found anywhere in RiverClan territory for suns, so there is no reason to fret. The kits were killed and taken by a fox—a scent was found at the scene of Bumblebuzz's body. She is watching from StarClan, and I'm sure she would tell you the same."

His words sounded like he was trying to convince himself. Troutstar shook off the eerie feeling that was dragging down his paws. Before he could continue, a ragged silver she-cat rose to speak.

"Those were my kits!" Minnowfrost spat, a fiery gleam burning in her eyes. "My beautiful kits were taken, not killed, and those weren't the teeth marks of a fox on Bumblebuzz's body. That was a cat, and the scent of Pebblescar was there! I smelled it before the rain washed it all away." Her head snapped back toward Troutstar. "I don't know what you're planning, but you are a dirty liar. Every cat knows that he is the killer, not a fox. Don't try to tell us otherwise just so your perfect little Clan can be in peace." Minnowfrost's muzzle dangled open as if she was going to continue, but instead she dropped into a ragged pile of fur on the peaty ground, a sob echoing loudly from her throat.

Troutstar sighed softly. "She is merely a queen torn with grief," the leader spoke, his voice heavy with weariness. "Ignore her words."

A loud shriek exploded from Minnowfrost's mouth; her protest was feeble and weak, but it was understood.

Troutstar may have had his stance, and Minnowfrost may have been opposing him, but the rest of RiverClan was torn between the two. Who would they trust: The anger-driven queen, or their calm and faithful leader? It seemed like a simple decision, but Minnowfrost had the evidence on her side.

Leaving a large group of confused cats and padding into his den, Troutstar collapsed into his mossy nest. He was an old cat; he had only two lives left, and they were two lives that had to be spent well. He closed his eyes, considering his options.

I could leave RiverClan. . . find my peace without the painful battles and the mind-bending decisions. I could travel until I found safety, and Silvertail could step up as leader. She was a good choice for deputy, despite her youth. I'm sure she could lead well in my absence.

Troutstar dozed in and out of sleep; time was only a blur as he stared at the wall. The decision was weighing down the tom's mind as a ginger she-cat poked her head into the den. "May I come in?" the deputy asked, her gray-colored eyes soft with sympathy.

The leader gave her a weak nod. 

"The Clan is in distress. . . ThunderClan has taken Sunning Rocks. Hailtail warned us against disturbing you. Will you please help us?" Silvertail pleaded, her ears folded against her skull.

"I am of no use to RiverClan anymore," Troutstar finally replied, his mew thick with self-pity. "I will only impede our progress. Can you serve as our leader? I need more time to think."

A hint of anger sparked in the deputy's eyes. "Time to think about what? Leaving our Clan to fend for itself? You are going to run off and find a barn and live with Twolegs because you are a weak cat who can't even stand up. Just a few heartbeats ago I was sympathizing you. But now—now I understand, You don't want me to serve as leader temporarily; you want me to be the leader." Disbelief colored her tone. "Get out. We don't need a dysfunctional leader." Silvertail was standing, her silver eyes ablaze with unforgivable rage.

Troutstar was haunted by her words as he hauled himself to his paws, limping out of his den. He ignored the mews as he exited camp, paws heavy. He ignored the cats that followed him, their whispers only fading into the wind. He ignored the final calls of his warriors as he crossed the border, dejectedly letting his head hang low.

"I have been rejected," he muttered, weakly leaning against a tree. "I have been rejected from the Clan that I used to lead."

⌁ Slightly shorter-than-average chapter brought to you by Rio! ⌁