Chapter 19

Pebblescar yawned as he stretched out his paws, staring as particles of dust drifted above his head. As the tom's vision zoomed into view, sleepiness fading from his eyes, he recognized the sharp thorns of his bracken den above his face. The dark gray tom shifted in his nest, his back aching from a long wound that had been cut there.

It wasn't the first time he had woken in peace only to be interrupted by the sharp reality of his world. While the sun rose on one side of his life, Pebblescar was dragging his battle-torn body into his nest and trying not to give up all hope. And as the bleary sun set in one world, he was talking sleepily to Minnowfrost and his soon-to-be born kits. He was living a double life; in reality, everything was handed to him with cheery smiles, in the other he was faced with the grim downsides to his murders.

The sound of pawsteps thumping as cats awoke thrummed in Pebblescar's ears. His sheltered den was only a few fox-lengths from the RiverClan camp entrance. They would never look among their own trees and bushes for the cat who killed their kin. 

A sharp mew of pain distracted the tom. 

"Bite on this stick," instructed the gentle voice of the recently named full medicine cat, Bumblebuzz. "I see the head of the first one!" Pebblescar gritted his teeth; his mid-morning nap would be punctuated by the pain-ridden screams of a birthing queen. So instead of shoving moss in his ears and rolling over, the tom stealthily slipped out from underneath his bracken den, stomach grumbling as he made his way into a holly bush behind the medicine cat den. "C'mon, push! It's a tom!"

Slowly, the tom nudged some leaves of the bush out of the way so he could see into the den. Bumblebuzz and Hailtail's backs were facing him, but the queen's pelt was visible. Bumblebuzz was licking the tiny dark brown pelt of a kit, and Hailtail was coaxing the queen. He recognized the beautiful silver fur of Minnowfrost as her back arched and a yowl exploded from her mouth.

"Another one is coming," warned Hailtail as Bumblebuzz continued to lick the little cat. Another ear-splitting shout made Pebblescar winced as a kit slid out onto the moss. This one had a beautiful silver coat that matched her mother's shining pelt. "This one's a she-kit—she looks just like you." Hailtail smiled slightly.One of the medicine cats moved onto licking the she-kit as Hailtail continued to whisper into Minnowfrost's ear. "

"I think this is the last one," Hailtail encouraged. "Push! Give it your all!"  

Minnowfrost let out a hiss. "I already am, mousebrain!" growled the queen as the backside of a kit became visible. Hailtail looked skeptical at the insult, but she stayed quiet as the third and final kit slid onto the moss.

The silver queen's head dropped onto the moss with exhaustion as the medicine cats took a step back. "Two toms and a she-kit," Bumblebuzz mewed proudly, eyes shining. "Minnowfrost sure looks tired!"

Hailtail nodded slowly, nudging her. "C'mon, Minnowfrost, you need to name your beautiful kits."

A pair of blue eyes seemed to see through the bush that was shrouding Pebblescar from their view. Minnowfrost lifted her head back up and glanced down at her kits. She pointed her back paw at the third kit, a tiny tom with a silver pelt and green eyes. "This is—is Pebblekit," she mewed, encircling the tomcat with her tail and bringing him to her stomach to suckle. Horror decorated Bumblebuzz's face as she turned to Hailtail. The elder cat just sighed softly.

"And the she-kit?"

"Rainkit," murmured Minnowfrost. "The last one is Reedkit." Exhausted, the queen dropped her head back onto the moss and closed her eyes.

Bumblebuzz took a step back. "Why would she name a kit after the cat who killed her mate?" asked the blue-gray she-cat, tipping her head with curiosity. A bitter taste rose into Pebblescar's mouth as he stared at Pebblekit, who was mewling loudly as his paws blindly flailed around, searching for the origin of the milk-scent that was probably wafting up his tiny pink nose.

"She loved him," Hailtail answered softly, dipping her head down and licking the flank of Rainkit. "Pebblescar, as oblivious as the tom was, was her first love, and she lost him. She lost him the moment he killed Cinderclaw. And Minnowfrost knew before the rest of us, but she never said a word because she thought he could change. And he didn't. He killed again and again, and the rest of just sat blindly through Glimmerstream's accusations. We're the dumb ones. Pebblekit will have a fine life as long as no one outcasts him for his namesake. He's just a kit. He hardly looks like Pebblescar, anyways." The medicine cat took a deep breath. "Just. . . just don't repeat what I said."

Bumblebuzz dipped her head. "Of course," she muttered, confusion flashing in her blue eyes. "I understand Reedkit, and I suppose I get the meaning behind Pebblekit's name now, but why Rainkit? It seems quite out of place with the rest of the litter, and she didn't even hesitate whilst naming her."

Hailtail blinked. "Well, Rainshine was the name of Cinderclaw and Oakfire's mother. Minnowfrost loved Cinderclaw, too, and I suppose she would have named the kit Cinderkit instead of Rainkit, if she had been a tom. I don't know why she avoided Oakfire as a namesake, probably because the two were never close, but Rainshine was probably a name floating around in her brain." Hailtail shrugged. "She was a pain-tormented queen. I'm sure there will be regret for her decisions and joy for others, but these kits must live under the names of the cats who came before them."

Before Bumblebuzz could respond, Pebblescar turned and fled, the rustling of bushes piercing the heavy silence. He could hear the shouts of cats as he flew past a patrol, barely giving any attention to the others. He could hear the sound of water rushing as he leaped into the river, paddling quickly across and climbing onto the bank. He could hear the sound of birds tweeting and leaves crinkling under his paws as he avoided ThunderClan camp, traveling through their territory. He ran and ran until his body collapsed, drained of energy, and he looked at the stars, terrified of his fate. The pain stabbed his heart like a sharp thorn; he closed his eyes, hoping for death to take him away.

This was written by Rio. I hurp you enjoyed. This was shorter than usual, but nonetheless it was a chapter :)