Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Pebblescar's tail lashed back and forth as he stalked out of the camp, his mind racing like a WindClan cat chasing after a rabbit. He opened his jaw to taste the air, wondering if there was any prey nearby to take his anger out on. Normally he would stop to fish, but that would be too time consuming. He had a patrol to complete, a mission to prove his worth.

Sighing, Pebblescar let the pungent smell of RiverClan's scent marks rise into his nose. He crossed the border, enjoying the heavy silence of the marsh. That silence was punctured by the loud roar of a Twoleg monster as it traveled down the Thunderpath. Pebblescar wrinkled his nose at the bitter scent of the monster's exhaust. It was a small path that bordered RiverClan territory, but still monsters traversed the path often.

He looked down the small Twoleg trail, making sure there weren't any beasts in the way before crossing. Every hair on his pelt was raised as he crossed the edge of the Thunderpath, feeling the hardened dirt beneath his paws. Pebblescar bolted toward the other side as if his pelt was on fire and the grass was water to extinguish it.

Lucky for him, water was actually the next thing in his path. The river cut through a small strip of grass ahead, and beyond that was the treecut place, then his destination. "Finally back to my element," Pebblescar muttered, grinning at the swirling waters. He dived in, feeling the cold around him. Shivering slightly, the tom's paws moved steadily as he stroked across the river, fighting the strong current as it threatened to pull him away.

He heaved himself onto dry land, panting with effort. Pebblescar twisted his head around to lick his back and flatten his soaked pelt. Soon he was warm and mostly dry, but most importantly, he was ready to face his next obstacle.

The treecut place was looming ahead. A large wooden fence enclosed the whole clearing, and monsters inside were making loud whirring noises. He had never been there before, nor had any cat in RiverClan. There were only stories about what lurked inside, so Pebblescar's stomach was in turmoil at the thought of entering.

He could go around the entire outside of the treecut place, but that would take much longer, and it was already halfway to sunhigh. Swallowing his growing fears, Pebblescar unsheathed his claws and let his feline instincts take over. He took a few steps backwards, lifting his chin up high.

The RiverClan warrior's legs stretched out in a leap as he catapulted himself upward, reaching his claws forward to sink into the fence. He hit, barely hanging on. Sucking in his stomach, Pebblescar climbed the last few tail-lengths to the top and threw himself over, landing with a crash into the bushes.

There were Twolegs milling around in the clearing, but none of them seemed to notice nor care about him. Pebblescar let confidence guide his motions, darting behind a pine tree and peeking around the side. He was still safe.

One of the Twolegs shouted and pointed at him as he darted toward the next tree. Soon all the fur-less creatures were staring at him with mixed curiosity. Pebblescar forced his fur to lie flat, and he let an unnatural purr escape his muzzle. They won't hurt you if you act like an innocent, he told himself, steadying his breathing. A tall male Twoleg walked up to him and stretched his paw out. A scrap of some strange meat was sitting in it.

Wary, Pebblescar stretched his head forward and took a deep whiff of the substance. It smelled like bird with the scent of plants and Twoleg-materials mixed in. Holding his breath, the tom gently bit the meat and chewed it. It had a spongy texture but was surprisingly good. The warrior swallowed, disliking the bitter taste.

The Twoleg laughed and pulled his paw away, tucking it into his pelt. They ignored him as he ran into the bushes, angry at himself for getting caught. "That won't happen again," Pebblescar whispered, starting into a slow jog through the trees. Pine needles poked at his pads, and the sun's rays created even more discomfort. He ignored his, aiming toward a large opening in the fence that lead to his destination.

The Twolegplace.

Pebblescar quickly ran into the trees on the other side of the fence, his paws already reeking of Thunderpath scent. Luckily there were no Twolegs nearby, so he could walk with the luxury of remaining calm. The RiverClan tom sprinted behind some bushes.

Pebblescar recalled Reedstorm's words; he needed to check for weird scents. The gray tom opened his muzzle and tasted the air, only smelling the strong scent of Twolegs. Then, a sharp aroma made Pebblescar's fur rise along his spine.

Rogues. They were cats, but the smell of desperation and endless hunger clung to their pelts. They didn't enjoy the luxuries of being a kittypet; they didn't lounge in the sun and play with Twoleg toys. But they didn't follow a code or respect any cat that couldn't further their own interests. They were wild, evil, and savage. They had no limits and no boundaries.

Pebblescar hated them. These particular rogues had caused trouble long ago that had killed his own father. Revenge stirring in his blood, the tom considered his options. He could run meekly back to Reedstorm and report his lame findings, or he could discover more. Maybe Pebblescar could even stumble upon something that would amaze Troutstar, and he could get back his position as deputy.

He flexed his claws, sinking them into the soft soil. He would go onward.

Pebblescar lifted his chin and squared his shoulders, ready to face any danger ahead. There was nothing that could stop him. Sure, there were creatures that towered above him without fur or any intelligence. Sure, there were kittypets with their low-hanging bellies and wide, stumbling gaits. Sure, there were dogs with breath that reeked of evil and fangs as sharp as his own claws. But that wouldn't stop Pebblescar. He would avenge his father, and he would be a hero to RiverClan.

This was Rio, back with another chapter :D I hope you enjoyed.