Chapter 4

Talking to Oakfire had proved to help out Pebblescar's dark mood, and he felt great as he padded into the warrior's den to rest. 

"Oh, Pebblescar!" A familiar mew stopped his train of thought, and the dark gray tom looked up to see Minnowfrost, her eyes bright and friendly as usual. "Hi!"

"Hello," he replied as he made his way into his nest, which was incidentally close to hers. He had never noticed that before, but the fox-length between them seemed much longer today. "I thought you were going on evening patrol with Salmonpaw—or was that during your training today?" He shook his head, trying to remember all the patrols he had assigned that morning.

Minnowfrost tipped her chin back slightly and laughed, making Pebblescar chuckle along as well. "Yes, the apprentices were all trained in basic fishing methods today; after all, it doesn't hurt to renew the knowledge every once in a while," she meowed. "And yes, I have evening patrol, but Salmonpaw is cleaning out the elder's den after what he did."

"Oh, please do tell!" Pebblescar exclaimed, leaning forward to hear what she had to say.

Minnowfrost glanced outside the warrior's den. "Oh, I better go. Maybe later." Her tone seemed darker, like she had something much better to go do. Pebblescar padded after her, aiming to go get a carp from the freshkill pile. But what he saw was worse. Minnowfrost and Cinderclaw were padding away together, shoulders brushing.

He felt a bitter taste rise through his throat. Why would she do that? Suddenly feeling not very hungry, Pebblescar padded into the warrior's den and laid down in his nest.

Sleep was no comfort, as the dark gray tom awoke in the other world- where he wasn't the deputy, at least for now. The claw-moon was hanging in the sky, bright against a backdrop of star speckled black. He got to his paws, feeling the need for a calming walk.

The air outside was refreshing; a breeze blew across the river and the temperature was just warm enough so that he wasn't shivering. 

There was a silhouette against the river-side, a small cat, but definitely a warrior. "Hello?" he called quietly, taking a few steps toward the cat. The cat glanced back, and Pebblescar recognized the bright copper eyes of Oakfire. 

She looked unhappy. "Hi Pebblescar," she meowed quietly. "Why are out here so late?"

He shrugged. "Couldn't sleep."

"I just miss Cinderclaw," Oakfire meowed as he sat down at the river's edge. The ground was slightly wet, and Pebblescar felt the cold seep into his bones. "Where do you think he is? I mean, Glimmerstream thinks you killed him."

Pebblescar shifted on his paws, listening to the pebbles crunch. "I think he just ran off or something," the dark gray tom lied.

Oakfire's copper eyes were dark as she stared at him. "Really?" the she-cat asked. Her voice was heavy with an unknown burden.

He nodded.

Pebblescar saw doubt in her eyes, and the second she looked away, his eyes darted down to his paws. They were perfectly clean, but his claws were sharpened. His scratches from Glimmerstream had healed. He was innocent looking, but from the day he was born, Pebblescar had never been a decent liar.

"I don't believe you," Oakfire finally meowed. "But I know that you're a good cat. And I know that you would only kill my brother-"

A range like no other blazed in his belly. With a ferocious growl, he leaped up and pinned her down, claws digging against her throat. Her eyes stretched wide with fear and realization. He was the murderer.

"Don't tell anyone," he whispered before his claws pierced the flesh of her throat. Blood rushed out, pouring down her neck and dripping into the water. Scarlet stained the dark waters of the river. Pebblescar just stood there, feeling satisfaction as he pushed her body into the water and watched her float away.

A/N: This was short, but I wanted to end it there. Thanks for reading, please comment your opinion. -Rio