Chapter 6

Troutstar's eyes glimmered with emotion as Pebblescar padded to the center of camp, sitting down in the middle as cats gathered around him. Reedstorm padded toward the front of camp, taking usual position next to Troutstar. Only this time, Pebblescar wasn't in that spot.

The gray tom swallowed, anger building in the pit of his belly. He didn't deserve to be demoted. He didn't deserve to feel the guilt that he felt for the cats that he had killed. They deserved to die, feel his pain, and experience loosing the position that he had served for moons.

"I have an important announcement," Troutstar meowed after some waiting. Pebblescar fidgeted from where he sat—maybe the pale gray leader had finally decided that his decision was stupid and that he deserved to be deputy again.

"First of all, Salmonpaw could you please step up here?" The ginger apprentice looked startled, but he stepped up to the rock. 

Pebblescar's heart fell. This was a stupid warrior ceremony, a stupid ceremony for Minnowfrost. "I, leader of RiverClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn." Troutstar turned toward Salmonpaw. 

"Salmonpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do," the ginger apprentice meowed, voice shaking with surprise.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Salmonpaw, from this moment forward you will be known as Salmonleap. StarClan honors your hunting skills and spirit." Eyes shining, Salmonleap stepped turned toward his Clan as all the cats starting shouting his new name.

"There is also another announcement, but that is not for me to make." Troutstar stepped back, nodding his head toward his deputy.

Reedstorm rose to his paws. "I know that this may be unexpected, but I have a mate. And she is expecting kits."

Pebblescar glanced curiously around the clearing, wondering what stupid she-cat had pledged their life to the cat who had stolen his position as deputy. Minnowfrost rose to her paws from across the clearing, and a wave of shock ran through the dark gray tom.

She was in love with him? What about Cinderclaw? Or me? His eyes darkened with anger, and his pads were slick with sweat suddenly.

"Congratulations!" he heard a cat meow, and soon the words were echoing around the clearing of cats.

"Dismissed," he heard Troutstar affirm from the rock. The cats dissipated, but Pebblescar was left—infected with shock—standing in the center of the camp. Minnowfrost padded up to him, her eyes wide with concern.

"Are you okay?" the silver she-cat asked, her voice gentle. "I'm sorry to scare you like that."

Pebblescar shook his head. "No! It's—it's fine. That's your problem—I mean deal, not mine. You can have kits whoever you want."

Minnowfrost's eyes flashed. "That was hostile. . ."

"Sorry," he muttered, staring at his paws. "I never saw it coming! Reedstorm and you never talk."

She shrugged. "We just were meeting in the forest. I like to keep things private, okay?" Her mew gained a defensive tone.

"Whatever," muttered Pebblescar. "You don't even matter to me." Fury filled the dark gray tom as he turned, padding into the forest to go hunt.

After hunting, the sun was dropping below the horizon and Pebblescar was exhausted. He sank into his nest, ready to sleep the night away.

Pebblescar opened his eyes as a beam of sunlight glowed in his eyelids. Blinking the sleep out of his eyes, the tom padded out of the den, energy filling his body. He then remembered the horrid happenings of the other world: Oakfire and Cinderclaw were dead. He was a warrior, and the cat who took his place had also stolen his she-cat. Bitterness filled his stomach, but it was washed away as Minnowfrost padded toward him.

"Good morning sleepyhead!" she chuckled in a teasing voice. "You missed assigning patrols. I was going to wake you up, but you looked so cute in your nest!" She let out a laugh. "Reedstorm did it for you."

He grew hot under his fur, rage filling his eyes at the mention of the dark brown tom. "Uh—okay. Do you want to hunt?"

She nodded. "Salmonpaw is with the other apprentices, resting. He's going to take his assessment soon." Together they padded out of the camps. 

A/N: Rio is back with another [short] chapter, but the next one will be more action-packed! I hope you enjoyed :)