Nine

-April 16, 2013- -Gabi's POV-

"Good morning. Gabi, whatever you're making, please make it for two." Josh says, coming down the stairs, as I was making his breakfast.

"Oh, wow. Who's the lucky lady?" Then a handsome man comes down the stairs and stands by Josh. "Or gentleman. Let's not judge now." I say, with a questioning look on my face.

"Gabi, this is my younger brother, Jake. Jake, this is Gabi."

"Oh, hello." I say.

"Hi." Jake says.

"Why didn't you tell me your brother was coming?" I ask Josh.

"I didn't know. Jake decided to show up at the super conventional hour of 3:00 A.M. See, he marches to his own drum... which is funny because he's a drummer." Josh replies.

"Was... Then I was a forest ranger, then I worked on an oil rig... then I was on a tuna boat... that ended up in Thailand where I... just hung out for a couple months and now I'm here." Jake says.

"And Jake's got big news. He's found his calling. Tell her." Josh says, then I gasp.

"I want to be a chef." Jake answers.

"Wow! Well, good for you!"

"Thanks! At first, I wanted to be a cook, but then I thought, why not be a chef? It's like the same thing, but with better pay." jake says, then I chuckle sarcastically.

"Actually, you know, it's not. It takes a lot of hard work to be a professional chef." I reply.

"Oh, I know. I watched Ratatouille on the plane." He says, then Elliot and Alan come into the living room.

"The answer is no. It's my wedding, too, and I want...Jake! What are you doing here?" Elliot says.

"I heard someone was getting married, and I want to see who I lost out to." jake jokes.

"My god. You're even cheek-bonier than last time I saw you. This is, ah... Uh..." Elliot says, snapping his fingers trying to remember Alan's name.

"Alan. I'm Elliot's fiance. Please never stand next to me in a photo. Gabala, quick question. Can you make appetizers for 100 people for our wedding Saturday?" Alan says.

"Uh, this Saturday, let me check my schedule... yes!" I say, excited.

"No. Our wedding's being covered by In Style and San Francisco Magazine. It has to be classy. So you understand why you can't do it, Gabi.."

"Oh, you hush. She's adorable. And we're in a pinch. My mother's caterer... Tova Rosen... is doing the sit down dinner, but we need cocktail apps that are chic and whimsical and Tova is neither." Alan says.

"Oh. Well, move ova, Tova. 'Cause, ah, chic and whimsical cocktail apps are my specialty." I say.

"Gabi, congratulations! I'm very happy for you. And at the same time, a little concerned. Um, one week, 100 guests, that's a lot of work for one person. A lot of work! " Josh says, then I lean over to him.

"Why are you crushing my dream?" I whisper.

"No! I'm not. I'm just suggesting, maybe... You hire a little extra help, my treat." He replies.

"Oh, that would be great. Thank you." I say to Josh.

"Perfect. Jake, you got your first gig." Josh says to Jake.

"No! Yes! Uh, excuse me." Then I pull Josh to the side. "Um... You just heard how important this wedding is to me do you really think that a drummer slash forest ranger is really the right guy to be my assistant?" I ask.