13. you are the music in me

i have so so so much material for this book that i can't possibly all fit it into one chronological series of events without it getting too tangly and drawn out... so there will be a sequel or at least a couple side/extra parts also i'm sorry in advance, there are so many time skips in this chapter

I slowly unwound our fingers that had somehow become intertwined and stepped off the ledge and back onto the solid concrete of the bridge.

"C'mon," I said, extending my hand towards Gee who looked a little shaken at my abrupt disappearance, "Let's head back, it's getting dark."

Dreadful grin swept across his features; the somber mood was now gone.

"Oh Frankie," he hummed, taking my hand. "Don't you know that the best things happen after dark?"

I took a deep breath and parked my car in my driveway. My extended weekend with the Way's, sightseeing San Francisco, had released my mind from all of the stress back home. Ms. Way and Gee said that they would be happy to talk to Lynn for me. I declined the offer I itched to take up, I can't have people holding my hand through life anymore, this was my problem and I needed to deal with it.

It was 12 o'clock and now Tuesday morning. In the moonlight, I unlocked the back door. All was silent. So I went into the kitchen, flicking on the lights. To my horror, the usually immaculate kitchen was a mess, dirty pots and pans in the sink. The trash was overflowing and, the floor was full of crusted mud spots. I shook my head, turned back off the lights, then tiptoed out, heading to Lynn's room.

"Lynn?" I came in a step at a time.

My mother sat up abruptly and looked me as hard in the eyes as she could. Thanks to all of the self-control measures I had taken the whole plane ride with Gerard, not a tear was shed on my end. She jumped up across her bed and bear hugged me. I kept my arms glued to my sides.

"Just tell me, Frank, why did you leave?"

"I needed to do my own thing. I wanted to find him."

"Who?"

"Gerard."

The rhythmic scrubbing motion she had started on my back stopped, "Never chase after boys, Frank, you'll get your heart broken. You see what happened, you came back empty handed."

I tried to hold my tongue, "Actually, Lynn I didn't come back empty handed. I met his mom, little brother, and I toured San Francisco. Gerard was the one who made me come back. He was all like, "Frankie, Lynn just wanted to protect you and I bet she's in your kitchen right now waiting for you."

"Do you have any more questions?"

"If I'm your son then why is my last name Iero if yours is Gunn?"

Her eyes softened, "Actually that's your father's last name. It's really the only part of him I kept. Except you of course."

Lynn sighed and started washing dishes again. Everyone was in the kitchen, everyone except Bob, who refused to see me. They didn't say why, but I guessed that it was because I'm gay.

"I suppose Gerard is right Frank, I was going to tell you when you went off to college but..." Lynn pouted.

"Oh, for Pete's sake Lynn, the boy loves that boy and you did too," Helena commented looking wistfully at my mother.