16.can i have this dance?

:)))))

day of prom: two hours before

With some makeup that I pressed on just for show, I fixed my usually unruly mop of hair into something more presentable so I wouldn't just look like a chubby boy in a dress. No matter what I was going to be a chubby boy in a dress, but I wanted to be a chubby boy in a dress that looked fit enough to be Brendon Urie's date.

Lynn and Bob knew I was going to prom, but they wanted no part in me going to prom in a dress. Whatever. Helena offered her help, but I declined, I wanted no one's pity service.

Because I didn't want any of my family to see me, I waited outside on the porch swing in my flawless dress with sparkly platform heels, for the whole world to see me.

What time did Brendon say he would pick me up? I pulled my phone out of the place where boobs were supposed to go and checked the time. I had been waiting for almost an hour with only my thoughts keeping me company. Knowing Brendon and his tiresome antics, I had a feeling that he had stood me up. I knew I had told him to pick me up, I talked to him about it yesterday, is he so dense and such a jokester that–

He was totally stoned during school yesterday. I groaned, I thought he would be able to remember, but I guess not. I was in my car and at the school before I knew it.

The disco ball was already whirling when I shoved past an underclassman at the door asking for tickets. Screw him. My eyes flicked across the gym for Brendon. Halfway to Bren's group of idiot stoners to tell him off for being an idiot stoner, I saw–Gerard?

I was glued to the floor when I saw him; there were no more teal roots in his hair. Gee's hair was cut shorter and washed and in wavy strands that looped around his ears. His usual beatup Converse were replaced by dress shoes and he had on a suit–but all this, for who?

Was it a daring romantic gesture, or did he come to embarrass me? His eyes caught mine and he started to wave me over. I slowly began to step in his direction, but some speed demon shoved past me and catapulted into his arms. He was waving at her, not me. For some reason my eyes wouldn't focus on the girl and Gerard. Had it been that easy to replace me? I rubbed my eyes hard; trying to make them focus on my sparkly sequined skirt.

I dropped my jaw to the freshly waxed gym floor and snapped my head up, the girl had on a purple dress. I found that I could see perfectly fine again. I heard disgruntled mumbles of people I shoved to get by as I crept closer to Gee and his purple companion, seeing the sparkle of her skirt and the one thick strap on her left shoulder, the person who was holding Gerard as they slow danced was–

"Hayley?" I whispered as I took a final step forward. It was a total Julius Caesar moment. I might as well have thirty stab wounds; it would hurt just as much as the moment I was in right now.

She lifted an eyebrow and detached herself from Gee, "Look what the cat's dragged in."

"What are you doing with him?" I tried to keep my voice from wavering as a small crowd circled around us.

"It's quite a long story. Can we start from the beginning? This is one I've been waiting to tell you the longest about. Have you ever noticed that I was your only friend? Your social crutch? Or, that you've never really had boyfriends–or any kind of romantic interest before him?"

I exhaled, "So my social awkwardness is because of you, not because everyone is so intimidated? All that gossiping actually got you something worthwhile Hay."

"If it hadn't been for you I would not have been the person I was today," she sneered, "I used you all these years, just taking from your reputation piece by piece. I hacked Gerard's phone too, sent him a coding to keep sending a same cluster of texts over and over until I knew you saw them."

I wasn't surprised; she was such a tech wizard.

By now most of the gym, including the DJ, was surrounding us and really getting into our little disagreement. So, I did what my instincts wanted–and punched her right in the face. I felt bad for hitting a girl, but because I was wearing a dress I think it was okay.

"Fight, fight, fight!" Students looking on chanted.

She stumbled over, but regained her balance and spat on the floor. Wiping her bleeding and maybe broken nose she walked up and stomped on my toes with her wedge heel. There was a ghastly crunch, and I flinched in pain. I was ready to pounce once more, but she slapped me down, hard. I could feel a tiny red handprint lingering on my face.

"Punching me in the face? Good job Frank. Way to act like a lady," Hayley grinned wickedly.

Gee wordlessly shoved us away from each other.

"Thanks for saving me Gee," she pouted and hugged him. I had seen enough. I ripped the locket that he had given me off my neck and onto the gym floor. I hadn't stopped wearing it yet because I hadn't had a good enough reason to, now I had a very good reason. I took a deep breath, and without looking back, I left the building– Well, I left with as much dignity as a person who has probably just had their foot broken and soul crushed could.

When I woke up, it was morning and I was inside my car which was parked in my driveway. I felt like banging my head repeatedly against the steering wheel, I was such an idiot. But instead, I changed out of the dress and into some clothes that were strewn in the backseat. Then I called Lynn from my position in the driveway. There was no way I was moving with my foot messed up like it was. When she took me to the ER I didn't want her to feel any more embarrassed of me than she already was, I didn't want her to be seen with her embarrassment of a gay son wearing an even gayer looking dress. A tap on the passenger side window snapped me out of my thoughts, Lynn gave me a small smile, I almost smiled back.