7. Obstacles on the road

I speed the car through town, not caring about crossing the speed limit or running a red light. The town is rather empty seeing the fact pretty much everyone is at my father's wedding reception.

I look into my rearview mirror and see I am somehow followed by a black car. Fear washes over me making me speeding up. The tears in my eyes causes my vision to be blurry and suddenly I ran into a tree I didn't know was standing there.

More tears spill from my eyes and I move my hand to feel some blood on my forehead. This is just great. I open my car door, get out of the car and walk to the local diner.

A waitress rushes over to me and helps me into a booth and then rushes off to get the first aid kid to help me with the wound on my head. I'm not going to lie, my head hurts pretty badly.

The sound of a bell suddenly fills the diner, signaling someone came inside. I turn to look who it was and I look away immediately trying to hide my face. But of course, with my luck of the day, I was too late. He walks over and sits across from me. "Seriously, Kat? Did you try to kill yourself?" He says breaking the silence.

The waitress returns with the first aid kit, eyeing Ian suspiciously. "Are you okay, honey? Is he bothering you?" She asks me as she carefully cleans the wound on my head and then covers the wound with a plaster.

"It's okay, I know him." I tell her and I try to give her a reassuring smile. "Thank you." I say and I point to the plaster on my head.

"You're welcome, sweetie. I do recommend you to have your head checked out. You took a pretty big hit." She says before walking away, leaving me alone with Ian.

I look up at him and for the first time since I've been back I see him looking at me with worry instead of disgust. "What are you even doing here Ian, didn't you hate my guts or something like that? Oh wait, maybe you're supposed to suck face with Jessica." I say, my voice full with venom.

I don't like Jessica. I don't like her now, neither did I like her back in High School. She has always been a stuck up bitch, parading around with her expensive clothes and dumb friends. Always bullying everyone to make herself feel better. I hated her for it.

"Kat, what happened out there? One minute I see you dancing and having fun, next you get carried away because you're passed out and the next thing I know you're running away from your father's wedding and crash your car into a tree. What happened to the careful, responisble Kat I used to know?" He asks and reaches for my hand over the table.

I quickly pull my hand back and fold both of my hands together in my lap. I let out a deep sigh and look at him. "Just go back, Ian. What's the use of making up when I'm going back to New York? You and I both know that I won't return to Wade Valley, at least not willingly." I say and I stand up.

I guess I hit my head harder than I had expected because when I stood up I suddenly became really dizzy. I feel my legs shaking and right before I can fall to the ground two arms wrap around me. "You need to get your head examined. I'll take you to the hospital."

I let out a groan. "I'm perfectly fine and the first hospital is thirty minutes away. Just go home, Ian. I can take care of myself just like I have done for the past three years." I say and pull away from him. I thank the waitress who helped me with my wound again and then walk out of the diner.

Like usual I am being my stubborn self and the minute I step out of the diner, I become really dizzy again. I hold onto the door to prevent me from falling. When the dizziness slowly goes away I make my way to my car, only to see the car is ripped. My purse, my suitcase, everything was gone.

I kick the car's tire and a sudden pain shots through my head. Tears spill from my eyes and I lean against the car not even bothering to fight against the pain and dizziness. I feel myself losing consciousness and the last thing I can feel before everything goes black are two arms wrapping around me.

-

I wake up in strange room and my head hurts like hell. I slowly move my head to look around the room, trying to figure out where I am. Suddenly I feel someone touching my hand and I pull it away in apprehension. "Relax, Kat. It's just me." I hear the familiar voice say and I slowly move my head to see the source of it.

Ian is sitting in a chair next to the bed I was laying on. "So how are you feeling after your little race stunt. Or after you tried to fight a tire." He says. I can hear the laugh he's trying to hold back and I feel a smile tugging on my own lips too. There's something about that boy that keeps pulling me to him. It's annoying.

"I guess it was a pretty stupid move from my part." I say and let out a sigh. This is all so messed up. Here I am, in a hospital bed accompanied by my ex. Having no phone, no wallet, no luggage and most importantly, no plane ticket back to New York.

I feel a wave of panic rise upon me. How in the world am I going to get home now? I have no phone, no money to buy a new ticket. This is just great! And then I feel a hand caressing my cheek. "Kat, why are you crying?" Ian asks.

"Because this all freaking sucks, that's why! I'm left with no phone, no money, no freaking plane ticket. How in the world am I supposed to get home now? Oh and my dad, he must be worried sick. I basically ran off." I say and rest my head in my hands.

ThenI feel something being placed in my lap. I look down to see Ian placing his phone there. "Look, I know you want to get out of here and go home. And I can help you with that." He says and I look at him confused. He lets out a soft chuckle and then looks me directly in the eye.

"I wish you would've been around for a little longer so I could've told you I got into Columbia University." The way he says it lets me know that he was genuinely sad about me leaving all those years ago. "I was supposed to go back home tomorrow myself. You could come with me if you want." He offers and a smile finds his way to my lips.

My smile fell when realization struck. "Tomorrow? Ian, I really appreciate the offer. Especially since I know you don't particularly like me. But I can't wait till tomorrow. I really need to get away from here." I say and something in in his expression changes.

"Why? What in the world is going on here, Kat? Wade Valley used to be your home. You loved it here! What happened to make you so damned scared of this place?!" The way he says it unnerves me. This is a side of him I have never seen before and it was actually quite scary if you ask me.

I shake my head as I feel tears well up in my eyes. I can't do it. I can't talk about it, especially not with Ian. He will be shattered and I can't do that to him. Maybe Lillian is right, maybe I still feel for the guy. And maybe that's one of the reasons I can't tell him. "I don't want to talk about it." I tell him, wiping the tears away.

He just sighs and shakes his head. "Just call your dad, tell him you're fine. I'll pick you up here tomorrow morning." And with that Ian stands up and walks out of the room, leaving for the restroom.

I call my dad and explain him what happened after guaranteeing him I am fine. I hang up at the same moment as Ian steps into my room again. I immediately hand him back his phone. "I will drive back now. I spoke to the nurse and they want to keep you over night. I will pick you up here tomorrow morning." And without saying another word, he turns on his heels and makes his way out of the hospital.