15. Love goes through the stomach

We enter the diner and sit down in a booth as I take in my surroundings. The diner has a vintage look with its black and white tile floor and red booths. A young blonde with curly hair makes her way towards our booth. When she reaches our table she shoots us both a smile before focusing on Ian's eyes, twirling a strand of hair around her finger. I can't blame the girl for trying to get his attention in a flirty matter because Ian truly is a piece of eye candy. "Good evening. How can I be of service on this fine night?"

The girl keeps smiling at Ian, who only has eyes for the girl shamelessly flirting with him. "A Dr. Pepper for both me and my lady," Ian says with a knowing smirk, looking in my direction which makes it hard for me to hold a giggle. "We would also like two of your finest burgers, please." The waitress jots down our order on her notepad and shoots me a look of daggers before she turns on her skates and makes her way back to the counter without saying another word.

Ian looks at me with a smile on his face and I finally let go of the laugh I tried to suppress in case the waitress would notice. "You totally gave that girl hope you were into her!" I look over to the girl who is now furiously cleaning the counter. "That poor girl. Putting in some extra time to earn some extra money only to be deal with guys wanting to get a joke out of it."

Disbelieve is now showing on Ian's face. "Oh come on Kat. Don't pretend you never flirted with a guy to get your way or to impress some of your friends. Do I need to remind you of that day you bumped into me in the cafeteria, spilling your entire smoothie over my shirt? I dare you to look me straight in the eye and tell me that was an accident." The smile on his face is proof he and I both know he's right.

I shake my head while smiling as I remember that day like it was yesterday. "That's not fair. I was seventeen years old when that happened, that's almost five years ago. And if I remember correctly, you asked me out right after that happened. It was like you needed that that little push yourself." I challenge him. There's no way I am going down without a fight.

Glancing over at the blonde wiping the counter once more, a smile appears on my face as a plan forms in my head. "Oh no, I know that smile. Kat, don't even think about it. I am warning you!"

An innocent smiles appears on my face. "What? I was only going to call my dad as we're waiting for our orders to arrive. Can I borrow your phone please?"

Ian shakes his head but hands me his phone anyways. "I know you're up to something Kat." I take his phone from him and then stand up to make my way outside of the diner. When I reach the door I glance over to Ian only to see him lost in the local newspaper.

I silently walk over to the waitress and tab her shoulder. "Whatever he made you believe, I am not his girlfriend. You should go for it, girl!" I rush out of the diner, dialing my father's number before pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" The cutest little voice sounds through the phone which immediately brings a smile to my face. I know I wasn't so fond of the idea of gaining a step sister and step mom, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Mia is the cutest little girl and it almost bothers me I avoided meeting her for so long. She's the little sister I have always wished for but never got. Same with Lillian. She comes across as a warm and open person, everything my mom is not. I love my mom. She couldn't have been more supportive with the Duke situation and the aftermath of that, but it also made her treat me as if I was made of glass. Easily broken and no possible way of getting fixed.

"Hey Mia, it's Kat. Is mommy or daddy there?" I would love to talk to Mia for a bit, but I needed to let my dad know I was fine first. I hear Mia calling for Lillian and I smile at the image of Mia running around the house holding out the phone for anyone to take. "Mommy! It's Kat! I want to talk to her too."