A Freak Once Again: Chapter 14

It was another four hours before Rogue finally woke up. She felt… Hazy, but there was surprisingly no pain. However, upon closer inspection of her surroundings, she realized this was because she was hooked up to an IV which was dripping pain medication directly into her veins.

                “Rogue,” someone breathed with relief.

                “Logan, what happened?” She asked, turning towards the concerned looking mutant beside her. Instead of answering he leaned down and placed his lips against hers. She immediately pulled away. “Logan!” Her brow furrowed with anger.

                “It’s okay,” he whispered, as he tried to lean in again. Okay?

                “I could have killed you last time and you want to try again? What’s wrong with you?”

                “Rogue, look,” he held up one of her hands, which he had gently clasped in his own. His skin was bare, as was hers, and for a moment, all she could think about was how warm he was. However, reality hit her and she tried to pull away. Logan kept his hold firm, but not enough to hurt her, just enough to prove his point.

                “Logan…”

                “Rogue, I’ve been holding your hand for over an hour. You aren’t hurting me,”

                “Wh-“ She tried to choke, but nothing would come out. Her eyes had widened to the point of bulging and her mouth was as dry as the Sahara. What the hell had happened? Why weren’t her powers working?

                “What’s going on? Logan! What the hell is going on!” She started to panic.

                “Calm down,” a soothing voice interjected. She had not realized Liam was in the room until he stepped into her view. Immediately his presence calmed her, but only slightly. “You were in an accident and hit your head pretty badly. You have a concussion so I suggest you keep yourself under control before you hurt yourself,” he smirked.

                “Liam, why… Why am I… How did…”

                “Well, it’s a bit of a long story, really, but to make it short, you can touch again,” his smirk grew into a genuine warm smile. She could see that he was being cheerful, but her veins went cold.

                Rogue had taken the cure years ago, but never had she forgotten its effects. The feeling of absolutely loss. Granted, it was what she had wanted all along, but she would never forget how it felt to have an entire part of her identity, her being, stripped away from her. When she had regained her powers, it had been hard and disappointing, but at the same time, she had felt whole again. The fact that she had found a person willing to love her despite the restrictions had only made her feel more close to them. Marie had finally accepted herself, and now they were gone again. However, this time, it was not some cure and they would not come back eventually. This terrified her.

                “They’re gone?” She whispered, barely audible.

                “No! I probably should have added that in there sooner. No, they aren’t gone, you are still a mutant, that will never go away. No, what I was meaning to say was, you should be able to control yourself now. Your mutation is no longer permanently active,” he amended.

                “So wait, I can… I still have them?”

                “Yes,” Logan smiled.