A Freak Once Again chapter 2

“I want to come back,” Rogue finally admitted about halfway through the meal. Logan eyed her with surprise.

                “You do?”

                “Yeah. I just… After taking the cure I feel like I don’t belong there. Even though my powers have returned I know that I chose to give them up and if I had the money I would give them up again. I don’t belong among those who appreciate the gifts they’ve been given,” she poked at the ice in her cup with her straw, keeping her eyes anywhere but on him.

                “Marie,” he sighed. He didn’t use her name very often, for the most part not at all, but when he did it sent shivers throughout her body. Stop! She screamed at herself. He is older and practically her father, she tried to remind herself. “Everyone back at the school misses you. No one cares that you took the cure, everyone understood. Out of all the mutants that walk this earth you were given the hardest power to deal with,”

                “I hate it,” she mumbled, “Why couldn’t it have been saddled on someone else?”

                “Because you are the only person strong enough to deal with it,” he gave her a smile that sent warmth straight to her heart.

                “I feel like a freak Logan,”

                “I’ve never met a mutant who doesn’t,” he said, “Look, it’s up to you whether you want to come back. If you do, though, there will always be a spot in the X-Men, waiting just for you. Anyway, I should probably see how Bobby is doing. Would you like to come?” He offered. She thought a moment before slowly nodding.

                Logan called to check on Bobby’s progress and much to his disappointment; Bobby reported that he probably made things worse with the girl. She was terrified of herself and about to slit her wrists.

                “This would be a good time to drive a little faster,” he told Rogue, his fingers clenched into fists. She pushed down on the gas pedal, praying that no red and blue lights would appear. To her relief they made it all the way to the girl’s house without a single siren.

                “What is her name?” Rogue asked as they climbed the front steps.

                “Heather,”

                Heather’s parents were nowhere to be seen when Bobby came and let them in. He led them through the small house, to the door of the bathroom. It wasn’t locked but apparently Heather had threatened to kill herself if they tried to come in.

                “Heather?”

                “Who are you?” She choked from the other side of the door. It was obvious that she was crying.