A Freak Once Again Chapter 6

Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters was just as Rogue had remembered it, tall, beautiful, and bustling with teenagers. She immediately felt like she was returning home, however that didn’t mean she was comfortable. As she had said many times before, she felt like she didn’t belong there. She had chosen to give up what made her one of them, therefore she didn’t have the right to be amongst those who embraced and learned to love their powers.

                “It hasn’t changed has it?” She murmured to herself.

                “Storm wanted to keep it the same,” a heavy hand rested on her shoulder. The familiar scent of a burning cigar tickled her nose and she found the smell comforting. “She is going to want to talk to you,”

                “I know. First, though, could I go visit Professor Xavier?” She asked.

                “Bobby, Liam, why don’t you too take our new guest to meet Storm?” Logan suggested. The two boys looked more than happy to comply and eagerly lead her away, fighting for her attention. “Come on,” he said, taking Rogue’s hand. She didn’t bother to tell him that she remembered where everything was, she was content letting him believe that she needed to be lead there.

                As always, low flames were burning at each tombstone. Rogue couldn’t help but feel a lump in her throat grow as her eyes rested on the stone belonging to a most missed professor. She sat down in the sweet green grass, shutting her eyes.

                “I miss you Professor, I really need you right now. I feel confused, conflicted, and I wish you were here to tell me what to do. I feel like an ungrateful freak. Not only can I still not control my powers, but I have willingly given them up for my own selfish reasons. I didn’t really care about anyone else, I did it because of a boy. I was foolish and stupid. However, worst of all, I realize that I would do it over again the same way if I got the chance.

                “I really miss you. You would know exactly what to tell me to make me feel better. You were always so smart about these things, about everything. Storm is great, wonderful, and perfect, however she isn’t you. I just can’t truly accept that you are gone. I hope you are happy up there in Heaven,” she sighed sadly. Small streams of tears trickled down her cheeks. She hadn’t had a chance to express those feelings in such a long time, it was a release that she was incredibly grateful for. Throughout the whole speech she had forgotten that Logan was standing behind her.

                “I miss him too,” he spoke up. She slowly stood and turned to face him.

                “He was the only one who made me feel like I belonged,” Rogue admitted.

                Flicking the small stub of his cigar to the ground and stepping on it lightly with his toe he said, “You do belong Marie, I wish you would realize that,”

                “Thanks”

                “For what?”

                “Being a good friend,”

                “Friend,” he repeated the word quietly, his lips forming a tight line as if that one syllable had left a bad taste in his mouth.

                “Something wrong?”

                “No I just… Nothing is wrong,” he shook his head, dropping his gaze to the ground.

                “How many times are we going to do this?”

                “Just drop it,” he scowled.