A Freak Once Again Chapter 9

“That’s a risk I am willing to take,” before she could slip out even one more protest, he closed the distance between them. His lips pressed deeply against hers and then….

                Nothing. Well, that’s not say she didn’t feel anything. Her entire body lit up with fire and a pleasurable pain pounded against her ribs. She pressed herself into the kiss. His lips were slightly chapped and rough but she wouldn’t have expected any less. She found their scratchy texture to be wonderful against the incredible softness of her own. And then… Everything changed. Logan froze. This didn’t register at first, but within seconds she realized he wasn’t kissing her back anymore.

                “Logan?” She murmured against his lips. No response. This alarmed her. She jumped backwards and let out a scream. Logan fell backwards, hitting the floor. His mouth was agape and attempting to pull in as much air as he could. “Logan? Oh God Logan!” She screamed, tears threatening to spill. How could she have been so stupid? She should have fought him! She should have left! She knelt beside his trembling body and began to scream.

                “Help! Someone! Please help!” Dammit! No one would be able to hear. She was in the Danger Room. There was no way her desperate calls would be heard. Wait! Liam!

                Help! Liam! Can you hear me!? She screamed in her head. She waited for a few seconds, holding her breath.

                Jeez Rogue! Really loud! What’s wrong? Relief flooded through her as she heard Liam’s deep mental voice fill her head.

                Bring Storm and… Jean wasn’t the doctor anymore. So who else should she ask for? The campus doctor. Please hurry, Logan is hurt.

                What happened?

                I… He touched my skin. It was an accident. I think he’ll be okay but he needs help.

                Where are you?

                We’re in the Danger Room.

                Their on their way, and so am I. Storm told me to pass this message along to Logan if he becomes conscious again: “We need to talk.”

                Great.

                Rogue waited impatiently for help to arrive. Logan had completely stopped shaking and his breathing had evened out. She could not tell whether or not his body was healing itself, or if he was going into the coma that Professor Xavier had mentioned so very long ago. She hoped it was the first one.

                “Logan,” she whispered through her quiet cries, “Logan I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have… I’m sorry. Please be okay, please be okay,”

                “I’m fine kid,” a faint horse voice sounded.

                “Logan!”

                “Yeah I’m awake, feel like I got hit by a tank, but I’m okay,”

                “You’re so stupid!” She felt like slapping and hugging him at the same time.

                “It was worth it,” a small smile crossed his lips. His eyes were still clenched shut and his jaw was rigid, but at least he was talking.

                “For who? You? Glad you had your fun but I was terrified! You know how I feel about this, about my powers. What if I had killed you?” She pointed out almost angrily.

                “You could have, but the point is you didn’t. I’m fine,” he weakly reached out to pat her hand. She flinched away. “Rogue…”

                “Logan, we can’t do this again, not until I learn how to control this. I don’t want to kill you. Do you think that I would be able to live with myself if I killed you? Or anyone for that matter?”

                “Rogue I’m…” The sound of the door opening interrupted him. Storm and some younger looking man came rushing in, Liam following close behind.

                “Logan, are you okay?” Storm asked breathlessly, kneeling by his side.

                “I’m fine,”

                “What happened?” The young man, who she guessed was the doctor, asked as he began to check Logan’s vitals.

                “It was an accident, nothing to worry about. Rogue and I accidently bumped each other, that’s all,” he lied. Storm obviously didn’t believe it. Then again, anyone who knew Logan well knew that he was lying. Rogue may not be able to keep herself from stealing a person’s life and a mutant’s powers, but she had learned to keep this involuntary thievery at bay for at least a few seconds during skin to skin contact.

                “He seems to be alright,” the doctor shrugged casually. Rogue let out a breath of relief.

                “Rogue, how about you? How are you?” Storm wondered, obviously concerned.

                “I… I’m okay,”

                “Hey, kid, at least something good came out of this. I bet that bruise on the back of your arm is gone,” Logan pointed out. She glanced down and realized he was right. A week ago she had been talking to a boy at the school she worked at and he had become rather angry at her. She had brought up his abusive father, trying to convince him that telling the truth about it would help him, and the boy freaked out. Let’s just say, in the end she walked away with a few bruises. The one on the back of her arm had been the worst. She was a bit surprised that he had even noticed it was there.

                “Leave it to you to look on the bright side of me nearly killing you,” she rolled her eyes.

                “Liam, why don’t you stay here and help me with Logan,” Storm suggested to a silent Liam, “Nathan, why don’t take Rogue to lunch,”

                “Sure,” the doctor, Nathan, agreed. Reluctantly, Rogue followed him from the room, her eyes never leaving Logan as she left.