A Freak Once Again Chapter 3

When Rogue returned to her apartment she was surprised to find that Nina, her roommate, was there.

                “Don’t you have work?” Rogue asked.

                “Nah, I quit. My boss was being a dick, found out I’m a mutant and just like that,” she snapped her fingers, “he started treating me like shit. I’ve been with that company for five years, putting on a happy perfect little smile trying to get promotions and the minute he finds out I’m a mutant I’m out fetching him coffee again. I wasn’t going to be treated that way so I quit,” Nina shook her head, taking a drag from her cigarette. Nina was a curious character. She worked for a big corporate business and when she was at work you would think she was the neatest, cleanest, nicest person you’ve ever met. The minute she comes come she changes into short shorts and a black tank top, showing off her tattooed shoulder and chest. Most people didn’t know she was a mutant mostly because you wouldn’t know unless you got her angry, which was mostly hard to do. However, if you succeeded the beautiful girl with the raven black hair, full red lips, and bright blue eyes would melt away into a monster. She didn’t get all hairy or howl at the moon, but her teeth would grow to sharpened points, her nails would extend into sharp claws, and large black wings would sprout from her back. Rogue had only seen it once.

                “So, you don’t have a job?”

                “Nope, I figured I could help pay the bills with what I have left and then let you pay until I find a new job. I would pay you back of course,” she gave a half-smile while inhaling another lungful of smoke and blowing it out in a thin stream.

                “Um…” Rogue suddenly felt bad. Why had Nina decided to quit now? Of all times?

                “Something wrong?”

                “I can help pay for this month… Maybe I could send some for next month,” She shifted her weight awkwardly.

                “Send some? Where are you going?” Her eyes flashed with curiosity and concern.

                “I ran into some old friends, they want me to go back,”

                “Go back? As in to the school for gifted kids or whatever it’s called? Why would you go back? Aren’t you a little old to be attending school?” She raised an eyebrow.

                “I wouldn’t be attending the school, I would probably work there,” Rogue shrugged.

                “So you’re leaving me?” Nina suddenly looked upset. Nina had taken Rogue in when she found her wandering penniless around town. This was before Rogue’s powers had returned. Once they had returned, however, Nina found comfort in living with Rogue, living with another mutant. They became friends quite quickly and Rogue knew how much it was probably hurting her, hearing that her best friend would be leaving.

                “I guess I am, I’m sorry,”

                “Well,” she coughed a little, a side effect from the smoke, “I guess I’m coming with you,”

                “What?” Rogue asked in disbelief.

                “I just lost my job, my best friend is moving out, my boyfriend dumped me two weeks ago, I don’t have anything here. You told me about the school and I always thought it sounded pretty cool, so I’m coming with you,” she shrugged nonchalantly.