A Freak Once Again Chapter 7

“Logan!” Rogue looked up from her dinner in surprise. She hadn’t heard him come into the room and didn’t even notice his presence until she heard the sound of the refrigerator opening.

                “Hey kid,” he gave a crooked smile.

                “You’ve been gone for hours, where have you been?” She wondered.

                “Oh, I was helping with the Danger Room sessions,” he shrugged.

                “For four hours?”

                His gaze dropped for a moment, “Sure,”

                “Sure? Not sure that’s the right answer for that type of question,”

                “Does it matter where I was?” He snapped a bit. She could tell he immediately regretted it, but instead of saying sorry he stuffed a cigar in his mouth and lit it hastily. The scent filled her nose and for a minute she was calm.

                “No, I guess it doesn’t matter,” she sighed.

                “Anyway, what were you doing?” he asked.

                “Does it matter?” She didn’t mean to throw his words back in a harsh tone, but she couldn’t help it.

                “No,” he shook his head, blowing out small puffs of smoke from his lips. They sat in silence awkwardly for a few moments. Rogue could feel that something was off. However, she couldn’t tell what it was. Logan was acting differently and she did not like it. His muscles were tensed as if ready for an attack and his normally teasing smile was gone.

                “Is there something wrong?” She finally asked softly.

                His eyes met hers and she had her answer. Instead of admitting it, though, he said, “No, I’m fine,”

                “You sure?”

                “Yes, Rogue, I’m sure,”

                “What did you and Storm talk about? It sounded like you were in trouble,” she changed the subject.

                “Why are you interrogating me?” He demanded, resting his elbows on the counter that she was sitting at.

                “Geez, just trying to make conversation,” she frowned.

                “Yeah well it feels like I’m about to be arrested,” he chewed on the end of his cigar agitatedly.

                “Logan… I’m sorry,” she reached out a hand to pat his arm but he recoiled. “What the hell is wrong?”

                “I’m going to bed,” his gaze dropped to the floor once more.

                “But…” She couldn’t speak fast enough before he was gone. She blinked in confusion, staring at the spot he had stood in. “What the hell was that about?” She wondered aloud.

                “He’s upset,” a voice sounded behind her. She whipped around to see Liam leaning against the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest.

                “I figured that, but why?”

                “Wish I knew. Never seen him act like that,” he walked over and sat down beside her, snatching the dinner roll that had been sitting on her plate. She didn’t care, her appetite had plummeted anyway.