Part Three

Tyler's eyes flung open rapidly as he sat up against the wall, bringing his feet to his chest. He was panting, sweat dripping out every pore and he was aching. His head pounded massively as he struggled to keep air in his lungs. Worst, fill them with anything else besides fire, burning his throat. He looked around, everything was dark, there was no distraction to mask what was real. On his bedside table, the clock read 2:07: it was the middle of the night and his home was asleep. His breathing was growing aggressive as he violently dragged his fingers through his hair and across his skin, leaving behind scratch marks which burned him, in a pleasant kind of way.

It wasn't long before the door swung open and a shirtless man with red hair jumped in, nearly running towards him. Tyler looked up and recognized the Canadian boy right away as he sat down by his side, pulling him into a hug. Confused, Tyler was too shook up to protest and simply complied. After a moment, he pulled back and lifted his head, his eyes shined bright as the moon travelled through his room. Tears hid behind his eyelids along with islands of violence and he saw something in Josh's face, in the way he handled this that it mustn't be the first time.

"Thank you..." As unfamiliar as this should have been, it was nothing but the exact opposite, a wave of comfort, like walking back home after a long vacation. This was comforting and Tyler felt at peace in his heart in this brief moment. The thoughts, the nightmare, it was over. He wasn't standing on the brink of disaster; he wasn't alone.

With a small smile, a comforting way to form your lips, Josh spoke softly and soothingly. "You're welcome." He took out two chocolate bars, handing one to Tyler who still shook, shivers running down his spine. Josh looked up and wrapped a blanket around his shoulders, as Tyler bit into the chocolate bar. With a smile, Josh ate his own. He remembered how Tyler always got the munchies after night terrors and he only craved one thing: chocolate. Josh was always prepared, no matter the situation, he'd always be there for him.

"So, um, what do Canadians do for fun?"

Josh looked up and smiled, he had an idea. He remembers that Tyler never really fell back asleep too easily so now, the boy was wide awake. Josh jumped to his feet and threw on a plain black tank top, covering it with a hoodie. He grabbed Tyler's hand and pulled him to his feet, "Come on, follow me."

Tyler smiled and threw on a grey basketball hoodie, then followed Josh out his room as his swallowed the last of his chocolate. They stood at the entrance of their home, where they both put on their shoes, making an exit from the house.

"Where are we going?"

Josh looked back and smiled, "You'll see." He unlocked the doors of his old car, a black 67' Chevy Impala, and hopped in, Tyler following. As he turned on the engine, Lane Boy came on the radio blaring out the speakers.

"Don't trust a perfect person, don't trust a song that's flawless!" Josh couldn't help himself as he began tapping his fingers rapidly on the wheel along to the song, one of his absolute favourite on their new album. As he hummed the catchy tune, he looked over seeing Tyler mouth a word or two, which made Josh smile as he pulled out of the driveway and headed downtown.

"You remember this song?"

Tyler looked at him and shook his head, "Not really, but it's not half bad. Lyrics are pretty great and beat ain't so bad either."

Josh laughed, Of course, the beat is great. I made it! He thought to himself, a smile spread wide across both cheeks until Tyler's next question: "Who sings? It sounds really familiar."

Josh lost focus for a second as he parked the car into the nearly empty parking lot, and looked over at Tyler as he pulled the keys out from the ignition. "Uh, I forget. Now let's go, I'm starving!"

Josh quickly got out the car and Tyler just sat in silence for a moment, he didn't believe Josh but also didn't know why he'd lie to him. No one likes a song that much, and doesn't even remember the band! Shaking it off, Tyler exited the car and lifted his head to see a bright neon sign illuminating nearly half the lot. The air was thick and humid as the two walked inside Taco Bell.

Walking in, Tyler was hit with a variety of smells, flavors, and just pure joy. His face was shaped into a silly smile and the goofy man was guided to a booth by Josh while he went to order. He returned soon after with two chipotles. At first, Tyler wasn't convinced, "You sure I like this?"

With a laugh and a mouth full, Josh nodded and pushed it closer in front of him. "Yes! Now eat it." Tyler's growling stomach convinced him at last and he finally took his first bite, heaven hanging in his mouth. It didn't take long before he was stuffing his face, laughing loudly at 2:30 in the morning with Josh, the Canadian exchange student.

In the car ride back, Tyler was sleeping which meant Josh carried him back inside and into his bed. He tucked the covers up to his neck and closed the door as he exited the room. He laid back onto the couch where he was previously sleeping, by Tyler's room in case he had any night terrors. Josh only managed a few more hours of sleep before morning came shining through the few windows in the basement. Josh sat up, rubbing his eyes lazily, he then proceeded to stretch his arms and legs. With a yawn, he threw on a black and white, geometrically designed t-shirt and made his way up the stairs.

The kitchen was empty, with the exception of a note near the kitchen sink that read:

There's pancake mix in the fridge, you boys help yourself. -Love, Mom xoxo

Josh smiled and poured himself a fresh cup of coffee, adding in some sugar and milk, then he sat down in the living room and sipped it quietly. He pulled out his phone and looked at his unread emails and messages, then proceed to his Twitter and Instagram. He saw pictures of him and Tyler, before the accident of course, and it warmed his heart. The silly selfies and the goofy smiles he saw on his camera roll were all there was left of their friendship, in a way, and Josh wanted nothing more than to cherish it.

After his last sip, he tossed his mug in the kitchen sink, carefully to ensure it's safety and took out the pancake mix. He grabbed a pan and a spatula, turning on the stove as he poured his first pancake. A few pancakes later, Josh had a spatula in one hand and a fork in the other and was hitting it against the marble countertop. Right, left, right, right, left. He let himself go as he played the familiar beat, waking up a grumpy Tyler who marched up the stairs, hair ruffled up and an angry look on his face but the combination of sleep deprivation and confusion made him look like an innocent child.

"Josh! It's 9 in the morning! What the hell are you doing?"Josh spun around and looked at him as if he'd been caught in the act. He dropped the fork on the floor and his eyes widened.

"Shit, I'm sorry, I, uh, I forgot you were sleeping." Josh bend down to grab the fork then stood back to flip the last pancake. "I made pancakes." He said shyly as he handed Tyler a plate containing two perfectly circular, golden brown pancakes.

Tyler sat down at the counter in front of Josh's plate, after grabbing the milk, berries, and maple syrup out the fridge. Josh turned off the stove and turned around taking a seat across Tyler. He looked at him as he drizzled some blueberries and raspberries over his pancakes, topping it off with a think layer of Maple syrup. Josh was handed the maple syrup and poured himself a glass of milk as he poured some, probably too much, syrup on his pancakes.

"You Canadians really don't joke around when it comes to Maple syrup, do yeah?" Josh laughed and nodded, he wasn't Canadian, he just had a sweet tooth. Tyler took a bite and hummed as he swallowed, his eyes nearly rolling back into his head. If he remembered one thing, it's that Josh definitely could cook.