Part Twelve

Tyler's eyes fluttered open and the sunlight beaming through the thin pale curtains nearly blinded him. He moved his right arm to cover his eyes but stopped in realization it was entangled with Josh's. He was pressed up against him which made him smile, reassurance washing over him in a matter of minutes. As if that simple action could cure all of the world's problems simultaneously.

He closed his eyes for another little while, but he wasn't sleeping; far from it actually, for as Tyler only rested in the idea of Josh's heartbeat beating and him being close enough to hear it as loud percussions. About an hour later, he began to feel Josh move as the red haired boy woke up, slowly. Quickly, Tyler closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep; he didn't want this pure moment to end.

The two boys remained half asleep till about three-quarters past 8, Josh's bladder ruining the perfect picture. He got up as quietly as possible to try and not wake up Tyler but him tripping over his phone charger and falling down on the floor did the trick.

"You okay?" Tyler shot up and tried to hold back a laugh.

"Yeah, sleeping beauty, I'm fine."

Josh laughed right aloud and so did Tyler. It took him a minute or so but he was back up on his feet and on his way to the bathroom. When he came back out, he found Tyler sitting cross-legged on the bed occupying himself with Saturday morning cartoons. Josh chuckled and brought over a box of Lucky Charms and milk, pouring two bowls.

"Here." Josh handed him a spoon along with the bowl of cereal. "Tell me when to stop." He began to pour milk in his bowl until Tyler halted him.

"Stop. Thanks." He smiled and Josh sat beside him, both boys watching SpongeBob SquarePants. The next little while with filled with mostly laughter and silence; no real conversation between the two. Once they were done eating, they packed up and headed out to the car, throwing their things in the back seat.

"Let's go!"

They drove all day, the radio playing either old classic rock or undeserving pop; whenever the music wasn't up to their standards they simply turned it down and got to know one another on a deeper level.

Josh's favourite color is red. Tyler used to know that, but today he re-learned it. And more re-discovered discoveries were made today. Most of which Josh kinda wish he didn't have to re-tell him. I mean, this all made him feel so distant but he stayed optimistic. Tyler was choosing to learn about Josh, that had to mean something.

Crossing the Canadian Border into Québec seemed to be the end of the world for Tyler. He couldn't even stay seated quietly.

"It's the first time I leave the country!!"

Sure. Not counting our worldwide tour for Vessel of course. Josh chose to keep that thought to himself and simply kept on driving. About an hour or so later, they stopped in a little town to rest. After checking in the motel, Josh smirked as he left the building, Tyler standing before him in utter confusion.

"Trust me, it's time to learn sports. The Canadian way."

Tyler followed him into the car and Josh drove straight into town. He parked the car and within 5 minutes, he was back out with two bags and two sticks..? Tyler had "confused" written all over his face but didn't even bother questioning him. The next stop was an outdoor arena. It was empty, they had the ice all to themselves.

"Let me teach you how to skate."

He pulled out two pairs of brand new skates and tied one pair to Tyler's feet, the next on his own. Tyler got up and within fifteen seconds he was back down on his ass.