Part Eleven

Josh pulled up in his black car at Tyler's home, the clock striking exactly 10 o'clock. He honked the horn and within a few seconds, the front door flew open and Tyler ran out like a child on his way to an amusement park. It was adorable and Josh chuckled as he watched him throw his bags in the back and walk back up to the passenger seat of his car.

"Good morning! Excited I see?"

"I'm going to Canada, with you, my be-, my friend." Tyler stopped himself before he could say anymore. He chuckled nervously but was relieved to see Josh didn't notice. "Umm, how about some music?"

Tyler desperately tried to change the subject, his fingers already fidgeting with the radio. Josh looked at him with a smile, nodding in agreement. Tyler didn't hesitate a second to turn it on, the music quickly shouting out the speakers.

"My name's Blurryface and I care what you think.." Stressed out was the first song to play, Josh sighed as he heard the familiar beat he loved so much.

"Josh...Who sings this?" Tyler asked as he turned his head to face Josh. The boy wouldn't take his eyes off the road, he remained neutral and lied with a straight face.

"I don't know, I barely listen to them."

Tyler didn't say anything else, he knew Josh was lying. The way his fingers tapped the steering wheel in perfect harmony told him otherwise. But he wasn't gonna push him, he simply figured he'd tell him whenever he was ready.

The next little while was silent, other than music blaring out the speakers; a combination of random songs on a "popular pop" station. The sound of Tyler's grumbling stomach was the perfect excuse for a break as any.

"Hungry?"

"Yeah, a little." Tyler giggled and the atmosphere had already been changed, making both boys more comfortable.

Josh took the nearest exit which contained a few restaurant, including their favourite: Taco Bell. This was a no-brainer, a few chipotles later and the boys were already back on the road. This time, they were radio silent.

"Alright, so tell me about you. Tell me about Canada." Josh swallowed and chuckled nervously, trying to mix up another lie.

"Well, it's very...green!" Sweat began beaming at Josh's forehead as he grew anxious trying to remember details from fifth-grade social studies. "There's a lot of wildlife..and um...it's cold."

"Ahhh, what did you do for fun?"

Tyler was sitting, a large grin on his face like a little kindergarten boy learning the alphabet for the first time. Josh found it adorable, if he wasn't distracted before, he sure was now, making this a hundred times harder.

"I....uh, I snowboard and I...I also played a lot of music."

Shit, Josh. Why did you say this? Josh wanted to change the subject but damn, he just fed the burning fire instead.

"You play music??!"

"Yeah..."

"That's so cool, what instrument?"

"The drums."

"You need to play for me when we get back!"

"Haha, yeah we'll see."

Tyler was never the more impressed about Josh's musical talents, Josh, on the other hand, was just glad he got out of there alive. They kept on driving, pointless conversations here and there until the sun went down and Josh pulled up at a motel.

"Here, we'll rest for the night."

Tyler nodded in agreement and grabbed their bags while Josh went inside to register. He soon came back out holding a key and directing him towards a room, number 21. They walked inside, Tyler throwing his bag on the ground and jumping on the king size bed in the middle of the room.