Chapter Eight

The rest of my week consisted of taking care of Alanna. Now that I was going to be working, I wanted to make sure that she didn't feel left out. I took her out every day after school for mommy time and let her choose what we would do. One day we went out for ice cream, the next for a movie, and the day after for pizza. On Saturday, I let her invite some friends over and have a sleepover. She was super excited and to my surprise, they were all asleep by eleven. Sunday came quickly and after all her friends went home, I helped her finish her homework and fed her dinner before taking her to my parent's house. I knew I had to be at the airport early the next morning and didn't want to wake her that early. My parents were going to take her to school and pick her up tomorrow. I would be back in time to pick her up Tuesday.

          By Monday morning, I was in a frenzy to get ready, get my things, and get out the door before I was late. I knew Brock liked to be on time and I was really trying to be on my best behavior. So I did my best to hurry and actually made it a few minutes ahead of time. Tonight, Monday Night Raw was live in Memphis, Tennessee. I knew it wasn't a long flight, only about an hour and a half or so, but Heyman had sent me a text stating that we needed to be in town early and preferably by lunch. I still wasn't sure why but I didn't feel like questioning him.

          Once I was at the airport, I was quickly ushered to the private jet which awaited me on the air strip. I had been informed that they hadn't been grounded long and had just been refueled. So, I was right on time. I gathered my bags and boarded the jet. It had been a while since I had flown anywhere, especially on a private jet, but I wasn't that worried. I was never one for motion sickness and didn't really expect it to start now. "Good morning." I add, seeing Brock at the small kitchenette just inside the door.

          "Morning. How does work feel now?"

          I chuckled, knowing exactly what he was referring to. "Getting up early never really bothered me that much. Any annoyance I had, I got over after I had Alanna. She woke up every three hours on the dot. She was kind of my alarm clock."

          "Mya was like that. My mother told us we had better get all the sleep we could and I highly regretted ignoring her warning after she was born."

          I smiled as I sat my things down and took a seat by the window. "Do you happen to know why we have to be in town so early? I got the text from Heyman, but he didn't say why?"

          Brock sat down in front of me as I buckled myself in. "The only thing I heard was that Vince wanted to speak with us. Other than that, I have no idea."

          My heart sank. "Vince? Vince McMahon?"

          "Yeah..."

          "Why? Did they change their mind?"

          He chuckles and shakes his head. "Considering how long you've been in this business, I am highly doubtful that you're afraid of Vince."

          I shrug. "I'm not. It's just that usually when Vince wants to talk to you, especially in person, it's not good."

          "I really don't think it's anything bad. They've already spent a lot of time and money to keep us here. Besides, when you really think about it, who else can they replace us with?"

          I was a little surprised by his cockiness. "A little full of yourself, eh?"

          He smiles. "Not at all, but think about it. That's kind of why we're here. All their big names are injured and they need ratings. They can't break us up, we're all they've got."

          I hated to admit it, but he was right. Paul wouldn't have went to all that trouble to meet with me last Monday and he sure wouldn't have brought it up to Brock unless it was set in stone. The WWE was between a rock and a hard place, whether they liked to admit it or not. They had to do something to get fans to tune in and right now, that was left up to us.

          Shortly after I sat down, we were ready to take off. The pilot informed us that everything had passed inspection and that we had been cleared to leave the runway. Within minutes, we were thirty-thousand feet above ground and in-route to Memphis, Tennessee. Brock and I made small talk throughout the ride, but mostly were engrossed in our own thoughts. When we landed, our pilot gave us our warning and before long, we were exiting the plane. A black SUV awaited us and once our things were loaded, we were taken to the arena. By this time, it was just after eleven and according to Heyman, who met us at the talent entrance, we were right on time.

          "Good, you're here. Someone will take your things to your private locker rooms. Right now, we have a meeting to get to." I gathered myself as we walked through the busy corridors. Workers were in a frenzy to get everything set up in time and they seemed to be having issues with the sound. Heyman finally stopped at a large door at the end of the hallway. A makeshift sign read, Vince McMahon. I took a deep breath before Heyman knocked and opened the door. "Good morning, Mr. McMahon. I have gathered my clients as you wished."

          I glanced at the tall man in the suit as he stood to shake our hands. I smiled as I sat down beside Brock. Heyman took his place behind us and Vince sat behind the desk. "I'm sure you're wondering why you're here today and I just want to assure you that nothing is wrong. I just wanted to talk to you." He paused before continuing. "I'm sure that you both are well aware that the WWE has been struggling a bit the past few weeks with ratings. Our top superstars have been pulled due to injuries and business has taken quite the hit. Brock, you returned three years ago and have been a crowd favorite ever since. Casey, you made your return last week and it was no surprise that our viewership increased by nearly half while you both were on TV."

          Brock spoke. "And your point?"

          Vince sighs. "My point is that you two are all we have right now. I have put all my faith in you and I hope you don't let me down. My family built this business and I will not see it die just because some people got hurt. I am counting on you to make this business what it once was. Entertain the fans, make them want to tune in every week. I've been talking with the writers and we're doing our best to give you something to work with. The fans enjoy you the most when you're unpredictable and that's exactly what we're going to try and accomplish each night."

          I was surprised to say the least. Vince McMahon just told us that his business relied on us. This was one moment that would forever be sealed in my mind. I knew that Brock and I would likely be the face of the WWE for a while until some of the superstars recovered from injury, but I never thought the business literally depended on us. I knew ratings were on the low side, but I didn't know that it had come to this.

          Brock responded. "How much freedom do we have?"

          Vince shrugs. "That's being determined with creative. We want to be able to keep our younger audience, so language isn't negotiable. We're discussing blood and so forth. You'll be informed as soon as it has been decided."

          Heyman opens the door. "Thank you for your time, Mr. McMahon. I can assure you that my clients will carry this business with pride. We won't let you down."

          As we exited the office, Heyman parted ways with us. Brock and I continued down the hall toward the locker rooms. "So, do you think it's as bad as he says?"

          "Honestly, it's probably worse."

          I look to him, shocked. "What? Can it be any worse?"

          "Vince is the type that doesn't ask for help until it's too late. Hopefully, he didn't wait that long and we can still save it."

          I hoped he was right. The WWE was my life and I wouldn't see it fail. Not now, not while I was still on this earth. "Well, well, well. I have to say, you surprised me. I thought you would quit."

          In that moment, my heart stopped. I thought I wouldn't have to hear that voice for a long time. He was supposed to be injured, so why was he here now?