Chapter Twelve

Once we left the barn, Brock ushered us into the house after we had gathered our stuff from the truck. We entered the foyer which opened up into the living room and kitchen. I assumed that it would be very bachelor pad like, but it wasn't. Everything was well put together and matched. It felt homey and gave off the farmhouse-ranch charm inside as well as out.

          We followed Brock down a hallway as he stopped at a door that was already open. "This is your room, Alanna. Turns out, my daughter was a big fan of horses when she was young too." Alanna saw the room before I did and when I heard her shriek, I knew it had to be good. By the time I joined Brock at the door, Alanna was already getting into the toy box. The room was painted white with pink checkered curtains and a matching quilt accented with horses.

          "If this is your daughter's room, Alanna can sleep with me."

         He shook his head. "This room hasn't been used in years. Someone should enjoy it. Your room is right here." He walked next door and allowed me to peek inside. When I first walked in, I immediately got the feeling of a country log cabin. The walls were wood beams and the bed made out of logs. "My ex decorated this room for her parents. In case you're wondering, I don't do the whole decorating thing, I just left everything the way it was."

         "Are you sure you're alright with this? I can find a hotel in town."

          He rolled his eyes. "Casey, you've lost your mind. I invited you here myself, why would I not be alright with it?"

         I shrugged and sat my things down as I heard Alanna call. "Mommy? Are we going riding now? I want to wear my new boots."

          I looked to Brock for an answer. "I'll go saddle them up while you two get ready." I nodded and took Alanna her things. She insisted that she could get ready herself, so I went back to my room to change. I had packed my old boots, the same ones that I had worn with the old Heaven way back when I was a teenager. I had won many competitions with her and these old boots. When I was younger, I used to swear to my parents that as long as I wore these boots and rode Heaven, we would always win and we did, until she passed away...

          I quickly changed and went to get Alanna. "Mommy! Look at me!" She smiled and showed off her new pink boots.

         I laughed. "Very nice, dear. Let's go back to the barn."

         She took my hand as we headed out of the house and down the little path to where the barn stood. We spotted Brock just outside by the pasture with Renegade, Willow, and Heaven all saddled up and ready to go. Alanna let go of me as she ran toward him. "I've never rode a horse before. Is it hard?"

           He chuckled. "No, Willow will guide you. But your mom and I will give you a quick lesson before we head out." She nodded as I joined them.

          Brock stared a moment before I spoke. "Cat got your tongue?"

         He shook his head. "No, you just look different."

        "You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl."

        He looked back to Alanna. "First, why don't we watch your mom?"

        I walked over to Heaven, who already had her eyes on me. "Hey, girl." I added and stroked her mane. "Put your foot in the stirrup, grab the reigns and pull yourself up." I instructed as I did each step slowly so she could watch.

          "But since you're a little short, I'll help you out." Brock added as he picked her up and sat her on the horse. "Now, hold on to the reigns tight."