Chapter Fifteen

Alanna stayed with Willow and Surprise most of the day. She only came inside to eat and she barely stayed long enough to do that. Heyman contacted us just before lunch and informed us that we would not be on TV tonight, since I had been put off the rest of the week. The creative team really didn't do much writing either, just stating that I would return next week after my wound had healed. I didn't expect them to do much with it since it was live and people saw me gushing blood. It was certainly no secret.

           As for Brock and I, we didn't say much. He was more focused on the new foal and brought the vet out around lunch just to make sure she was healthy. Of course, she was given the all clear and so was Willow, who seemed overjoyed to have a baby. Alanna hung around Brock most of the day and helped him with a few of his chores. I thought it was cute that she wanted to help so much and wondered if the subdivision life was really for us...

           I checked up on her throughout the day, but for the most part, I doctored my wound and kept in touch with my lawyer. She informed me that the judge had decided to skip the mediation and pre-trial, since we had already been through this after the divorce. I was told that we would be going to trial Friday and I was honestly shocked to have gotten it so early. Usually these things can take months, but not this one. Apparently, my lawyer had really pushed to have this thing as early as possible and even though I was thankful, I was scared.

           Alanna knew nothing of this and I had no idea how to tell her. I never thought it would be this quick and assumed that I had time to come up with something. That night, I sat in my room, researching every possible technique I could. Nothing jumped out at me and finally I just opened the slideshow that would be presented in court. I smiled as each photo faded on the screen. Alanna was always a happy child, but if you looked closely in the pictures with Randy, you could something was wrong...

           "Knock, knock." Brock added from the door.

           I looked up and motioned for him to come in. "Where's Alanna?"

           "In her room, getting ready for bed. I didn't know if I was ever going to get her out of that barn. I finally told her that horses need to sleep too."

           I chuckled. "She can be stubborn."

           "I wonder who she gets that from?" He added sarcastically as he walked over and sat next to me on the bed. "What are you looking at?"

           I turned the laptop around for him to see. "The trial is set for Friday and I have no idea how I'm going to tell Alanna."

           He sighed and pointed to a picture of Alanna and I. "That is a child who is loved. You can tell by the smile on her face." He points to the next one of her and Randy. "That is a picture of a child who wants to show affection to her father, but knows the feeling isn't mutual. She may be a child, Casey, but she knows what love is. She loves you and she wants to love Randy, but she knows she can't. He isn't here, never has been, but you always have."

           "I know that, I just don't know how to explain it to her without me looking like the bad guy."

           At that moment, I heard a little voice from the door. "You're not bad, mommy. Daddy's bad." Alanna peeked out from behind the door and looked at me. "I love daddy but he doesn't want me."

          That absolutely broke my heart into a million, tiny pieces. I didn't say anything, I just opened my arms as she jumped on the bed and sat in my lap. Brock looked to her. "Do you remember when your daddy called the other day and you told him about the horses?" She nodded. "When he asked for your mom, he said some really mean things."

           Her eyes widened and looked to me. "What did he say, mommy? Did I get you in trouble?"

           I shook my head. "No, baby... You know when you were little and I told you that you should always share your toys?" She nods. "Well, your dad doesn't like that. He doesn't share anything well and when he found out that we were here with Brock, he threatened to have you taken away from me."

           "Like I'd have to live with daddy?"

          I nodded. "Yes and you'd never get to see me."

           She shook her head. "No, I don't want to live with daddy! I want to stay with you! Can't you fix it?"

           Brock responded. "We're trying to but we'll need your help, okay?"

           "I'll do anything to stay with mommy."

           He smiled at her. "Friday, you and your mom have to go to court. Your dad will be there and they have to talk things over with a judge. The judge will decide who you will live with and if they ask you any questions, you have to answer them truthfully, okay?"

           "Okay, mommy always taught me not to lie." She paused and looked back to him. "Will you come with us?"

           He looked to me as I nodded. "She asked if you would be present, since you're in the pictures and will likely be his counter-argument."

           He looks back to Alanna. "I wouldn't miss it."

           She calmed down after that as I went to tuck her in. I assured her that if she told the truth, she would always come back to me. She agreed and before long, drifted off to sleep. When I went back to my room, Brock was still there and I decided that now was as good of a time as any to say what was on my mind. "I swear, if I had your ex's number, I would be calling her right now."

           He gave me a questioning look. "Why?"

           "I don't know the man you used to be, but I know the man you are now and if she knew that, I guarantee she would be back here. You aren't the beast that everyone thinks you are, that's just your gimmick. I don't know why she keeps your kids away from you, but if she saw how good you are with Alanna, I'd bet you'd get to see them before the week's end."

           He sighed. "You don't know how I was and you don't want to know. I don't blame her for doing what she did, but I'm over it now. Life has moved on and right now, you need to focus on Alanna."

           I looked away and started toward the bathroom. "Alright, I get it, I over stepped my boundaries. Alanna and I will be up before dawn to get to the airport. I told the school she would be checked in late, but she would be there. I'll have to inform them of the trial Friday as well and once I hear from my lawyer when we have to be there, I'll let you know."

            Before giving him time to respond, I disappeared to the bathroom. I changed and took my makeup off as I tried to stop myself from getting mad. I was just trying to be nice and he shut me down like I had offended him. I let it go and continued what I was doing. Everybody had their bad days and I guess today was his.