Chapter 7 - December 7 th - Magnus

December 7th - Magnus

"Good morning." I say, pouring a cup of coffee and sliding it across the counter to Alec, who's just woken up.

"Thanks," he says, sipping the drink. He stands up and puts some bread in the toaster. "Want some breakfast?"

"Sure," I say.

Neither of us speak for a while and I watch silently as he butters some toast and passes the plate across to me. I take a slice and offer him the other. He grins and takes it. We sit down at the kitchen island to eat, sat side by side, looking across at the ticking wall clock over the stove. Then Alec breaks the silence.

"Is Toby not up yet?"

"No, I think he's worn himself out training."

"Well, that's good I guess. Not that he's worn out! But that he's sleeping better. He was waking up so early before."

I laugh. "Yeah, I was a little worried about him before. I think the fact he's been here a few days probably means he's sleeping better."

"Yeah, true." He answers, then pauses. "Oh, Magnus." Alec says, looking up from stirring his coffee. "I meant to ask you last night, but I forgot. What happened that day Clary put that Fearless rune on me?"

I hesitate. It's been over two years, and he's never asked me about it. Equally, I've never offered the information. I did what I had to at the time, and I can't be certain he'll be all too happy about it. Hopefully, he'll understand. But I can't be sure. Then a thought comes to my head; I'm the only person who knows what happened. I don't have to tell him.

"It's been two years, Alexander. I can't even remember." I lie.

I drop my eyes, my gaze on the wavering dark surface of my coffee. I feel Alec's look on me, like a magnetic pull on my own eyes to meet his. But I can't, I can't look up, because heaven knows Alec can get anything out of me. Stupid blue eyes.

"You're lying, I can tell you are. What happened?" He perseveres. He sounds quite worried. He needn't be; it's in the past. He didn't do anything.

"Alec, I..."

I look up, and instantly wish I hadn't. Alec's piercing blue eyes lock on mine, and I inwardly curse myself for looking up even momentarily. Stupid, gorgeous blue eyes.

His eyes bore into mine, and I cave.

"You tried to tell everyone about us." I sigh. "And so I knocked you out with magic."

Alec opens his mouth, as if to say something, but he says nothing. There's a long, agonising silence. Then he speaks.

"Tell everyone about...us?"

"That we were...a thing."

He opens his mouth, then closes it again. He blinks a couple of times, seeming startled. I wonder if he knew that was his greatest fear? I admit, at the time I wasn't thrilled that the thing causing Alec the most emotional grief was myself, when all I wanted to do was make him happy. But now, I understand. It really wasn't me. It wasn't Alec. It just was. Alec takes a deep breath and smiles, his grin lighting up his whole face, still looking a little bit embarrassed and surprised.

"Oh. Well, thank you." He says, his eyes still on me, then he leans across the counter and kisses my cheek. I turn my head so my lips meet his and the room melts away. Then-

"Good morning."

I jump and Alec pulls back, startled. We turn to see Toby, sleepily rubbing his eyes. Damn. That kid needs a bell or something.