Chapter 15 - December 15th - Magnus

December 15th - Magnus

I've noticed, since yesterday, that sometimes when he thinks no one is looking, Toby traces the rune on his hand with a finger. It's like he can't believe it's real, like he thinks it will rub off or vanish without warning. It makes me smile. I wonder if it's like that with all shadowhunters; that they've seen these magical runes on their elders for years, seen the sort of thing they can do, and then they're astounded when they get their own. I wonder how it feels, wonder if Toby can tell any difference now its there. I wonder if he feels like he can see better, like when mundanes get glasses - but with magic. I wonder if he feels like he can really see me properly for the first time. I know that in many religious buildings, there are hidden areas - safe houses and weapon stashes - for shadowhunters that respond to the voyance rune. Now Toby has it, he's just a little safer. Of course, now he has it, demons will start targeting him. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

The snow has stopped falling as hard, so the roads are a little clearer and the subway's running - thankfully. No more days of trudging through snow-caked streets at 9 in the morning. However, we do still have to go to the Institute five days a week, regardless of weather, to catch Toby up on training. Snow or no snow, the nephilim are dedicated. I can't say I wouldn't just call it quits and stay home in this weather, if it was up to me.

Upon arriving, we open the Institute door, and Jace and Izzy come to greet us. We start down the hall and into the main foyer, where we pause to discuss.

"Come on, go get into your gear." Jace says. "We've lost so much training time because of the snow."

"Three days." I correct. "You've missed three days."

Shadowhunters, I think, suppressing an eye roll. They think every second is the most important moment of their lives. Mortals in general, I suppose. I glance at Alec, who's talking and laughing with his sister. I wonder if his own transience weighs him down as much as it sometimes does me?

"Exactly; forever!" Jace exclaims and Toby rushes off obediently to change.

But before he can even leave the room, there's a loud knocking on the front door.

"Urm, I'll go answer it." Izzy says. There's more knocking and Izzy hurries through the foyer and down the hall to the door. As the knocking persists in relentless response she raises her voice to call to them. "Okay, okay. I'm coming!"

As we're only down the hall, we hear all to well as Izzy opens the door and the Institute entrance is promptly filled with harsh, angry voices. I don't understand straight away, but Alec does. He recognises the voices before I do, pales dramatically, and turns to Toby. Its as he spins to face Toby that I recognise the voices: the clave. I feel a rush of goosebumps prickle on my arms and curse myself. I've never given into shadowhunters, never let myself feel the fear that they impose upon one another. Now I understand. I glance at Toby. When a life is at stake, it suddenly doesn't seem so stupid to be afraid of the clave and their unforgiving rulings.

"Go, go. Upstairs, quickly. Stay up there and be very quiet." Alec says in a rush, and motions for Toby to go.

He takes off running, sneakers pounding on the wooden stairs, but he's too slow. The door is thrown open and shadowhunters pour into the room with their faces like thunder.

"Halt!" Arthur Blackthorn calls, and Toby stops dead. "Come down and show yourself!"

Alec emits a low and quiet groan, and closes his eyes. I stand beside him, feeling my shoulder against his, and he opens his eyes slowly. He's paper pale and I'd do anything to stop this situation. But I can't. Magic can't fix everything.

Toby appears at the bannister, peeking through the bars in fearful hesitation. He doesn't know who these people are, doesn't know how the clave operates. This hesitance he feels isn't in response to what they stand for; its his natural reaction to strangers. He doesn't know the danger he's in. I don't know whether that's good or fatal.