Chapter 24 - December 24th - Magnus

December 24th - Magnus

"Hey," I say. "I'm thinking of throwing a Christmas Eve party. What do you think?"

"Tonight is Christmas Eve." Alec says. "And I don't like parties."

"Yeah, but is isn't a real party unless it's spontaneous." I shrug. "Right?"

"Wouldn't know." He admits.

"How many parties have you been to?" I ask laughingly.

"D-do shadowhunter dinners count?" He asks.

"No." I answer. "Absolutely not. Plus, shadowhunters don't have parties. They have stuffy dinners."

"O-one then."

"Wait, what? Alec! This is news! When?" I ask, curious.

He looks at me with wide blue eyes, a blush edging up his face and up to his high cheekbones, the tips of his ears pinking. Then it clicks; my party for Chairman Meow. When we first met. I'd invited Isabelle, because she looked like the sort of girl who'd be fun at a party, but little did I know it was her brother I'd fall for. One party - Alec's only party - that unlocked a whole world of adventure and love and wonder. I look at him, at his embarrassed smile, and smile in hopes to ease his diffidence. His eyes light happily.

"Maybe parties aren't so bad." He mumbles, looking at his feet. "I mean, my track record for party hook-ups is pretty good."

"Pretty good?" I laugh. "It's an hundred percent success rate, Romeo."

Most people, upon hearing that Magnus Bane, host of famously - or perhaps infamously - interesting parties is throwing a Christmas Eve celebration agree immediately to attend.

"I'll call Catarina." I tell Alec. "There's no way she'll have heard about it by word of mouth. She's far too busy working."

"On Christmas Eve?" Toby, who's just walked in, says incredulously.

"She's a nurse." Alec explains.

"And a very dedicated one at that." I add.

Toby nods, thickly covering a slice of toast with strawberry jam.

"I'll call her." I say and start dialling as Alec goes over to make a drink for Toby, sitting down with him as he eats breakfast. It rings for a while - Catarina never picks up straight away - then there's a click as she accosts the call.

"Hi, Catarina." I say down the phone. "Happy holidays."

"What do you want, Magnus?" She sighs. "I'm working."

Shocker, I think. As if I'd assume she was doing anything but.

"Are you working this evening?" I ask.

"I'm always working in the evening."

"Well, what time are you free?" I persevere.

"Urm, around ten, I suspect."

"Perfect." I tell her. "That's when the party is starting."

"Magnus, I'm assuming this party is happening at your place tonight. I am not promising I will be there." She says, with Saint-like patience.

"Yes you will." I put in happily. "Come on, Catarina. I'm trying!"

"Yes, very trying." She says, her voice a smirk.

"Catarina, it'll be fun! I'm already having to threaten Alec into staying whilst it happens and not running off to hide at the institute."

"I don't hide." Alec calls, sounding wounded. "I'm a shadowhunter."