Chapter 10 - December 10th - Magnus

December 10th - Magnus

"Hey,"

I look up from my coffee to see Alec, in what looks to be about five sweaters. I don't blame him; it's freezing in the apartment, despite the roaring fire and heating on full throttle. I have a blanket draped around my shoulders and the warmest dressing gown I own pulled tightly around me. Not the most attractive of outfits, I'll admit.

"Hey," I reply. "Want a drink?"

"Sure, anything hot." He says thickly. "I think I'm getting a cold."

I return minutes later with tea, tissues and toast - the three Ts of recovery - and kiss his hot forehead. He smiles gratefully and wraps his hands around the mug to keep them warm.

"Good morning." Toby says from the threshold. He's rubbing his eyes and has the duvet from his room wrapped around him, making him look like a caterpillar in it's chrysalis. Maybe he's got the right idea because he looks warmer than Alec and I.

"Hi, Toby." I say, and Alec sniffs mournfully. "Alec's not very well." I add, by way of explanation.

Toby nods. "Poor Alec." He says sympathetically. Then adds, "It's snowing!" with unequivocal enthusiasm.

"Will the subway be running?" Alec asks.

"We could walk?" I suggest.

"From Brooklyn to central New York?"

"Yeah, sure. The Institute isn't all that far. You used to walk here all the time when you lived there."

It's true. When Alec lived at the Institute, and especially when we very first started dating, he would walk from one end of the city to the other to get here. Which is crazy, but nevertheless. A little later, he started taking the subway here, though he never liked the claustrophobic train cars stuffed to the brim with mundanes. But sometimes, on nice days, he would still walk. Admittedly, today isn't such a nice day.

"Not in the snow!" Alec replies. "We'll never get there!"

Despite this, we still get dressed to go. Partly because I think it's pretty clear, come hell or high water, Toby won't miss training on Alec's watch.

Toby still hasn't got a coat, so he's in one of Alec's; it reaches his knees and the sleeves cover his hands. It strikes me that's probably something we should invest in and make a mental reminder. I wind a scarf around his neck and pull a hat over his head. Everything is just a little too big. I suppose I could always magic something up, but Alec - I sense - doesn't really approve of that when it comes to trivial things.

"There," I say. "Perfect. Let's go, biscuit."

"Biscuit?" Alec asks, emerging from the bedroom.

"Yes, you can be biscuit too, if you really want." I offer, jokingly.

"I think I'll pass."

"Sure thing...biscuit." I tease and he glares, but he's smiling.

He coughs wheezingly, throat sore. He really doesn't look well. His face is paper-white, except for his nose, which is red with blowing it too often. Poor Alec. He looks miserable. Plus, selfish as it is, I'm hoping he doesn't infect me or Toby.

"Maybe you should stay home," I suggest gently. "I'll take Toby."

He shakes his head. "I'm fine, I'm fine." He assures me, and pulls his coat and boots on. "Let's go." He insists.

"Come on, come on." I urge Toby, pulling him along on the slippery ice-slicked ground. The entirety of New York is like an ice rink. We checked the subways, but they're not running. The whole of New York seems to have gone into meltdown in retaliation, thousands of cars on the streets making up for the fact they now have no subway. Sensible people, I think. People who aren't willing to trek across the city.