We did it

Karen and Jess have been here for a month now as they’ve been helping with things around the house that Nath won’t let me do and they’ve been keeping me entertained before I go bad. Today is also my due date, 23rd June 2014 and I’ve had no signs of labour. “Why won’t you come out of mummy?” I whispered to my bump as I lay on the sofa in my pyjama bottom and Nath’s top as nothing of mine fits me, “He likes it in there too much” Nath smiled as he handed me a cup of tea, “My mum’s just popped out to get some things, she’ll be back soon” he added, I nodded, “Do you think he’ll make a show soon?” I asked as Nath sat next to me with his hand on top of mine on my bump. “You two are so cute” Jess cooed as she came in with her hair still wet from her shower and wearing just a vest top and some pyjama shorts as it’s pretty warm. “Will you put some clothes on?” Nath frowned at her, “I am wearing clothes” she said, “Not enough clothes! I can see your ankles” he said, “Oh Nath be quiet” I said and winked at Jess.

Another week has passed since my due date and I'm going mad, “Why won’t he get out of me?” I groaned as I wadled into the kitchen where Nath and Karen were making some lunch together and Jess was doing some homework. “He’s just not ready yet” Karen shrugged, “Can’t I just squeeze him out like a spot?” I asked and they all laughed, “No you can’t! Poor child” Nath laughed and kissed me on the cheek. “Come on, let’s go and watch some TV” Jess said as she packed away her homework. “I think I’ve seen just about every episode of everything on that damn thing” I groaned, “Well let’s go for a walk then” Jess offered, “That might help push things forward actually” Karen shrugged. “Come on then Jess, we’re going for a walk” I said and grabbed her hand, pulled her out the door. “Where are we going?” She asked, “This way” I said as I turned out of the house and just started walking.

We didn’t make it very far before I was completely out of breathe and my feet hurt, “Well that was fun” I sighed and then felt a searing pain through my stomach before a puddle formed  at my fee “Shit” Jess mumbled, “GET ME HOME NOW!” I gasped and Jess hooked her arm underneath mine and helped me get home whilst she called Nath.

Nathan’s POV

“Hello?... Yeah... shit okay... see you in a bit” I hung up on Jess and legged it upstairs to grab Beth’s hospital bag, “Nathan what’s going on?” mum asked as I ran downstairs, “Beth’s waters have broken” I gasped and pulled my shoes on, “oh good!” she said and grabbed her bag and Jess’ and put her shoes on as we rushed out and jumped in the car, speeding down the road to where Beth was hunched over panting and holding her stomach and Jess was looking around waiting for us.

I pulled over and jumped out as Jess helped me get Beth in the car and we sped off to the hospital. As soon as we got there a nurse came over with a wheelchair as she has obviously guessed what was happening when she saw us and rushed her into the labour ward with us trailing behind her.

“Jess call the others quick!” I said as we went into the room and Beth was put in a bed and given gas and air as she gripped onto my hand so tight I thought it was going to break. “You did this to me you wanker!” she shouted at me, my jaw dropped and the nurse spoke up, “Don’t worry, we see this all the time, just let her do whatever she needs” I nodded and gritted my teeth and she crushed my hand every time she had a contraction.

“She’s 10 centimetres already, you ready to push?” the midwife said as she pulled gloves on, Beth’s face flushed white and she looked petrified, “Dont worry, the epidural and gas and air should ease a lot of the pain, it will be over with soon enough and your little baby will be here and you’ll forget it ever happened” The midwife assured Beth as she put a hand on her leg, the though of the baby must have been enough to make Beth forget as she nodded and started to push.