8

When he turned to walk towards Cassie, to apologize, he just barely saw the last of her dress disappear through the door.

Coming to a decision, he ran after her.

"Cassie, please wait."

"Why? So you can tell me that you still love Lily and until you're over her you can't be with anyone else? So you can lie and say your studying is too important? So you can tell me that we're just friends and you're sorry? I don't want to heae it. It doesn't help. I've been telling myself that for the last two years. I thought maybe, since we were hanging out more, since we were closer and you would actually hug me, I thought that maybe I had a shot. But I was wrong. You'll always be obsessed with her and there's nothing that will change that." Cassie said, the hurt in her voice all too evident, and was only proved by the tears that continued to flow freely.

She spun around and practically ran away as he tried to walk towards her.

"Cassandra I'm sorry!" Severus shouted.

She didn't stop.

The next morning, she avoided him as much as possible.

"Hey Cassie, how did the last half of the party go?" Sirius asked, catching up to her after breakfast.

As she explained, his face fell.

"That's horrible Cassie, I'm so sorry." he told her softly, hugging her tightly.

"It's not your fault, you tried to help..."

"Well, we both need to get to class. I'll see you at lunch?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'll see you then."

Later that day at lunch, Severus attempted to approach Cassie, but the looks he recieved from James, Lily, Sirius, and the other Ravenclaw girls from Cassie's year changed his mind. He would find a more private time to talk to her.

Sirius moved to sit by her in the Great Hall and gave her hand a quick squeeze.

"Feeling any better?" he asked.

"Sorta. I'm not looking forward to the Hogsmeade trip tomorrow. "

"We can go together if you'd like." he suggested.

"Sure. That'd be fun." And for the first time since the previous day, she smiled.

When Cassie got to her next class, she found a note on her desk.

Meet me by the greenhouses after dinner.

It wasn't signed, but she knew it was from Severus.

Maybe he does have feelings for me, she thought excitedly.

The rest of her day went slowly as she was excited for her meeting with Severus. When the time finally came, she was ready to explode. She had come up with what would happen (or what she wished would, rather) about four different times throughout the day.

What actually happened, like so commonly occurs, was not as happy as she had hoped.

Severus arrived five minutes after she did.

"Cassie, I'm sorry about last night. I didn't realize that you saw it as more than just friendly, and I'm really sorry that I ignored you the whole night. I didn't know it would hurt you. And I'm especially sorry because I don't feel the same way." he explained.

"Al-alright. Okay." she replied, turning away to hide her tears.

"I'm sorry Cassie, I really don't want to hurt you."

"I know Severus. I-I have to go."

He moved to hug her but she walked away. When she reached the library, her emotions didn't stay controlled any longer. She sat in a corner and the tears began to flow freely.

Somehow, Sirius found her yet again and made her explain. He talked her into walking around the school with him.

"Cassie, even though he doesn't love you, you are beautiful. Don't beat yourself up because of him. It's not worth it."

"I'm sorry Sirius, I'm trying to not let it hurt but it's not working."

"And I'll do anything I can to help it hurt less." he whispered, pulling her close and kissing her forehead as she started crying again.

Befor he left her at her common room, he kissed her, slightly confusing her.

"Oh Sirius..." she whispered to herself before falling asleep that night.
___________

Its still a snape fanfic, just trust me