11

A month later...

Most of the school knew about Cassandra Potter and Sirius Black being a couple almost as soon as they did. They were closer than James had been to both combined, and the more Severus saw, the more it hurt. But he had his chance he knew.

Cassie had developed a habit of pranking Sirius, and things that would've made anyone else mad didn't phase him. He just kissed her gently and teased her for blushing.

Cassie was in the library, checking out books to read and do her homework. She was already carrying five and still looking for more.

Suddenly she felt someone's hands on her sides.

"Hello my love," came Sirius's voice.

"Hello Sirius," she replied brightly, stepping back slightly, into his arms.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Getting a few books to read."

"A few? That doesnt look like a few to me!"

"That's because you can barely read one book silly. Now hold these. I'm going to get three more."

"What, I don't even get a please anymore?" Sirius chuckled. She placed the books in his arms amd kissed him on the cheek.

"I love you silly, and thank you," she giggled.

"Valentine's Day is in a week."

Cassie stopped.

"Oh. Yeah. That."

"What's wrong my love?" Sirius asked, now concerned.

"The last Valentine's day I celebrated was with Lucius and that's.... that's when he...."

"It's alright, I won't do that, I promise you. I will never be like him."

She was silent for a few moments before saying she was ready to check out her books.

"Valentine's Day this year will be fun my love, I promise." Sirius told her in front of her common room. "We'll make an adventure out of it."

"Everything with you is an adventure Sirius," she laughed, kissing him on the cheek before disappearing.

"Still hate seeing that stuff." James grumbled, appearing from around the corner.

"Then don't watch!" Sirius told his best friend. "I get stuck seeing you and Lily snog, surely you can handle seeing me hold hands with your sister."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever."

Soon enough, James gave up on teasing them and Valentine's Day came too quick for Cassie. She had a present ready, she just couldn't stop the bad memories from invading her thoughts.

In the morning post she received a card from Sirius that exploded into glitter, covering her and her friends. She walked over to the Gryffindor table long enough to give Sirius his present, for which she got a quick kiss and a laugh at the glitter.

As she was headed back to rejoin the other Ravenclaws, she saw Severus standing against a wall, holding a card and staring at her, so she changed her course since she had a friendly valentine for him.

"Hello Severus," she said brightly.

"Morning Cassie. I... I got you a card but it seems a little odd with you hanging with Black." He replied.

"I got you a valentine too!" She replied. "It's not odd at all." She gave him a big hug, exchanged cards, and then sat down again.

All her free time was spent with Sirius, and it was the best day ever.

When she read Severus' card that night, she realized it was a lot more serious than a casual gift and her friendship card was probably a knife through the chest...