21

It had been two months since the events in the department of mysteries, and new people had moved in next door to the Dursleys. Harry didn't know where his aunt was. He too was broken by Sirius's fall through the veil, but he chose to grieve in the company of others.

His aunt, however had not contacted anyone since she fled the ministry that night. Not even Snape or Harry.

But those thoughts dissapeared from Harry's mind as Dumbledore explained who they were visiting and why.

Harry had heard of Professor Slughorn from his aunt and Sirius when they talked about their school days.

The conversation inside went as Dumbledore thought it would, but the ending shocked even the headmaster.

"Cassie dear, come see Harry before he leaves."

"Aunt Cass?" Harry asked in surprise.

Cassandra came into the room wearing sweatpants and a shirt that looked to be an old one of Sirius's. She looked very disheveled.

"Hi Harry, Professor Dumbledore." She sounded tired.

"Cassandra, my dear, I insist that you accompany Mr. Potter to the Burrow or myself in returning to Hogwarts. It is not healthy for you to remain like this," Dumbledore said.

"Yeah I... Slughorn thinks I should visit Severus anyhow."

Cassie left, to get dressed, Harry assumed, and shortly rejoined them, barely any more presentable.

After Dumbledore and Cassie had left Harry at the Weasleys', they returned to Hogwarts.

"Severus is out on a mission currently," the headmaster explained, "But he will return tonight."

With that, he left her in the entrance hall. She decided she would wait for Severus in his office. He had a nice couch that she could sit on until his arrival.

However, he did not get back until around three in the morning and he was surprised to find Cassie asleep in his office and looking so rough. He decided to wait until after dawn to talk to her. She seemed as though she needed rest.

Cassandra awoke to find Severus at his desk, working on a potion as usual.

"Oh, Severus, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sleep here, I just wanted to see you and Dumbledore said you would be back soon, and-"

"It's alright Cassie," he replied, not looking up from his work. "You looked like you were getting some much needed sleep."

"I... haven't been doing much sleeping lately," she admitted.

"So... why did you want to see me?" He asked as he finished the potion at last.

"I... Slughorn says I need to stop isolating myself. Lighten up on the drinking. Harry doesn't know but... I haven't seen him the last two months because I've been completely drunk the whole time til about a week ago... Slughorn found me in a tavern and cut me off."

"Cassie, that's not healthy."

"That's what Slughorn said too. He thinks that if I'm here, where you and Dumbledore can keep an eye on me, it might help." Her body deflated. "But I'm the therapist. I help everyone else get over and through their feeling and thoughts. Who is there for me to turn to when so many need me?"

"I am always here for you, you know that," Severus said softly, sitting beside her on the couch.

"You hated him and love me. The last thing you want is me in here crying all the time over his death."

"But you loved him. And then you lost him, right as you were hoping to start a life together. That's not easy to deal with Cassie. And I understand why you don't love me. I just want you to be happy."

She was surprised at the words, considering how much the two men had fought at Grimmauld Place.

"I made a mistake with Lily, obsessing over her and causing conflict. I'm not about to do the same thing with you. I hurt you already and I need to fix that."

"Oh Sev, that was years ago. I've pretty much recovered from that."

"That doesn't change the fact that I wish to see you happy. And if that means you are here every free moment of the day crying about him, then so be it."

She hugged him and did not let go for a long while.