4. South Orchid

The next day I woke up, and went down to breakfast, a little nervous, considering what had happened last night.

I still didn't know what my parents were going to say to me. I had thought about it all through the night, but I had decided they probably weren't so hot with Daryl.

What I didn't know, was that this day was going to change my life.

I walked into the kitchen, spotting my Dad in his usual seat, drinking his usual coffee, while my Mother cooked her usual breakfast.

Pancakes, with occasionally a side of bacon.

I sat down, and waited for them to say something horrid. Something that would make me want to run away and go live out in the woods with Daryl, wherever he lived.

But, they said nothing.

///

After breakfast, they still kept me wondering, what do you think about my best friend?!

Nothing.

But, suddenly something happened while my Mother was making lunch, and I was reading a book at the table.

"Hey Holly, did you know your going to South Orchid Middle School this year?" Mom questioned, like it was basically a statement.

South Orchid is my towns Middle School, that I have heard of before. Luke went to it. It's always full of kids. There's usually more people there, then less.

"No." I mumbled, not paying really close attention to what she's saying.

"It's kind of sad, having to say goodbye to a few of your friends."

I then blinked a few times, set down my book, and looked to her. My only friend is Daryl.

"What...do you mean, goodbye?"

"Their splitting your class up. Half will go to South Orchid, the others will go to a different middle school. I heard it's quite out of town, which I find in this case it's idiotic. Why not just put your class into one big class? It-"

A wave of fear sweeps over me.

"W-Who is going to South Orchid?" I can tell my voice is starting to get slightly shaky now.

"I don't exactly know. But I think that boy you spend a lot of your time with, Daryl? He isn't going to South Orchid, but-"

I had never gotten the chance to hear what she had said, because I was already running out of the kitchen, the house, and heading straight to the woods, as fast as my legs could take me.

///

"Daryl!!" I screamed for the hundredth time, not stopping to rest, even though I really need to catch my breath.

My eyes keep on frantically scanning the woods, finding no sign of him.

I had checked the cabin, the dock, and every other place I could possibly think of.

My feet skid to a stop, once I hear my name being called from the right.

I turned around, to see Daryl standing there, puzzled at why I'm trying to find him.

I ran over and flung my arms around his neck.

"Where were you, ya idiot?!" I gasped for air, happier then ever to find him, while squeezing my arms around him tightly. I can feel his hands linger on my waist.

"Was jus' comin' from ma place to th' cabin, why?"

I pulled away, my eyes wide. I don't think he knows yet.

"I need ta tell you something."

His eyes instantly start to match mine, from the seriousness in my tone.

"Let's uh, walk."

I then start to explain everything my Mom had said about us both going to different middle schools, that are far away from each other.

He then stopped walking once I finished.

"Wait. So, we won' be able ta be in th' same classes? Or schools?" He questioned, sadness in his voice.

I nodded my head, and looked down, quickly snivelling.

We then kept walking, until we suddenly reached the tree line, but kept on going.

Up ahead I noticed is a steep ledge. Once we got close enough, we saw that it's just a hill sloping downwards.

In the whole distance is our small town. It's exactly the perfect view of the landscape.

I then sat down. Daryl did the same.

Out of know where, a teardrop fell from my eye onto my leg. I quickly wiped my eye, with the back of my hand, and once again snivelled.

Suddenly, Daryl's arm slowly snakes across my shoulders. I looked up at him, then leaned over and rested my body against his that's sitting up straight.

"I'm going ta miss you so much." I said, just above a whisper.

"We can jus' come ta th' woods, like always an' still meet up."

"Yeah, but it won't be the same."

"Yeah..."

We silently sat there, in our deep thoughts. Never knowing what will happen. Or what was going to take place in the future.

///

Me and Daryl didn't go to the same middle schools.

We eventually started to grow apart. Just like in the books and movies.

We quit going out on adventures in the woods. Quit going to our cabin, and the dock. Quit seeing each other.

Maybe it was we were sick of each other. But that couldn't be it; because we made each other vivid, feel alive, and really a part of something.

That something was us.

Me and Daryl as one. As best friends. Or, who honestly knows, maybe even more.

Or maybe, it was because of all of the tests, and exams I had to study for. I was just too busy.

I don't really know the reason.

One thing I do know; is that I never forgot Daryl Dixon.