12. Cold souls

For once in my life, I never realized how excited I actually was for school today, until now.

Most people would assume, someone like me, who gets very high grades, would possibly like school. But yeah no, I am not that kind of person.

Not bothering to even put any makeup on, I rush out of my bedroom, fully dressed, then dash downstairs, and head straight into the kitchen, passing a still half asleep, Luke, who grumbles when I zoom past him, almost knocking my adult brother over.

I grab a quick bite to eat, avoiding any possible talk with my parents, then head out to my car, and start to drive over to the school.

My hands grip the steering wheel tightly, starting to sweat.

I'm a little nervous about seeing Daryl. I hope he doesn't think differently about this whole...thing that had happened yesterday. Him not being able to see me outside of school. That's bullshit.

He's not the type for drama. Never has been. And, I can tell since he's been here, never will be.

Finally, I make it to the school, and quickly park my car beside a familiar, rusty, light blue Ford, who has the one and only Daryl Dixon sitting in the drivers seat.

I hop out, grabbing my schoolbag with me, and walk around to Daryl's side of his truck. His head is tipped back on the seat, mouth open agape, and his arms are lazily draped over his chest.

I bang the window hard, making him suddenly scramble up from the noise, looking frantically around, until he spots me, then relaxes.

He starts to make his way out of the truck.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty," I giggle, staring up at his messy hair sticking up in all different directions, and the bags under his eyes.

He groans, and looks around at other students making their way into the building.

"What time is 'et?"

"Time for us to go to classes," I laugh, then walk up right in front of him, seeing his plaid shirt is a little crooked, and unbuttoned, "what were you doing out here?" I ask, as I help button his shirt back up.

"Had ta' get out of th' house. Dad was bein' a pain in th' ass."

I step back, examining my work on his clothing attire, whilst at the same time, processing what he just said.

"Why didn't you just go to the cabin?"

His gaze looks away from mine, and I see him shift around on his feet, seeming a little uncomfortable.

"Had ta' git farther awa-"

The bell suddenly loudly rings, interrupting Daryl.

"Hey, you can tell me later. Okay? Let's go," I say, taking his sweaty hand, and pulling him with me towards the school.

Once we make it into the building, both Daryl and I, hand in hand, all eyes instantly land on the two of us.

I let go of his hand sheepishly, as we start to walk side by side, down the main hallway, where not a living soul bothers to say hi to me, the more we make our way down it.