7. Jerk

Daryl and I decided we would go out for supper on Saturday. Which is now today.

It's not a date or anything. Just more of a hangout. I guess to talk about the past eleven years of our lives not spent together, and in no contact, or internet connection at all.

I park in an open spot out front of our local diner we both thought would be a good place to eat. Well, Daryl seemed like he didn't really care where we eat, or go.

I slam my car door shut, then walk up to the diners front doors. My fingers just graze the door handle, when I suddenly hear someone call me by my last name.

Daryl.

I turn around, to see him swing his leg off of a motorcycle, hopping off, then pushing the kickstand up.

Damn, it's pretty nice.

The street lamp shines off of the black, shiny metal, into my eyes, making me squint.

I cross my arms, waiting until he's finally done messing around with the motorcycle, until he walks up to me.

"Nice bike." I say.

"Merles." He pauses, like he wants to add something. "He's back from prison, but I borrowed it." He points his chin toward the bike.

There it is.

I roll my eyes and chuckle. Same old Daryl.

"'Borrowed', yeah sure."

We then walk into the quite busy diner. I look to Daryl.

Maybe he won't want to stay because of all these people. He's never really been social. I don't mind staying, but he if he wants to go, it's fine with me.

But he just walks forward, when a familiar local town girl, who's one of main waitresses here, nods to us, and takes us over to a booth with a window showing the dark, busy parking lot, outside.

We both sit down, and I set my wallet beside me.

We order our drinks, Daryl a beer, me a water.

Once we're finally settled, we basically look up to each other at the same time, our eyes connecting.

"Oh um." I cough awkwardly. "So. How did you get transferred to our school in the middle of the semester? Well, I mean, it's almost summer!"

He chuckles, and looks to the side with a smirk.

"They kicked me out. Unfortunately, I was I was fightin' too much, 'r somethin' like that."

I roll my eyes. Suddenly our waiter appears with our drinks.

She says that she will give us some more time to decide on some food.

"What've you been up ta, lil miss perfect?" He then asks.

I look up at him, his question instantly catching my attention, from sipping water in my straw, then sit up straighter.

"Not too much. School. Life."

"Anythin' actually interestin'?"