Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two [Life is a Highway - Rascal Flatt]

[Anne, 22:11, Ottawa]

"Are you ready?" Catherine asked from the doorframe of my room.

"Yup. I have my backpack packed." I stood from the floor and faced Catherine. "We're going into enemy territory, Catherine. I made you a mask to hide your identity."

I handed Catherine a black piece of fabric. It looked exactly like mine, covering the eyes and cheeks, a piece of fabric holding it together on the bridge of the nose, and a string to tie it at the back.

Catherine scrunched her nose. "I don't know, Anne."

I held up my hands. "That's alright. If you want us to be captured because everyone recognized you, thats fine. Our demise will be on your hands."

Catherine sighed. "Fine. I'll add it to my backpack."

"You have the tickets, right?" I inquired.

She nodded. "We aren't beside each other, since, you know, the flight is tonight and we started planning this trip last night. It's short notice even for the airports."

"That's fine." I shrugged.

"The flight leaves at midnight, so lets go." Catherine ushered me out.

We snuck up the stairs and into the garage. Mr. Zonde had someone drive up his precious white Honda all the way from Edmonton.

I flicked on the lights, only to come face to face with Mr. Zonde himself. I stumbled back in shock, knocking Catherine down.

"Ouch!" Catherine cried.

"Hello, girls!" Mr. Zonde smirked. "Going to Russia, I suppose."

"Uh, um, uh... Catherine!" I pushed her in front of me just as she got up off the ground.

"Um, hi dad!" Her sheepish smile only made Mr. Zonde smirk even more. "Okay, so heres the scoop..."

"I don't want to know about you plans, Catherine. The less I know, the less I will have to tell when something gets blown up or shot at."

"Wait... does that mean we can still go?" I asked.

"Canada has come to an ending point. We are desperate for a new plan to defeat them instead of just stalling them." Mr. Zonde explained.

My face fell. I knew what he was getting at. "Edmonton's Mafia Base was taken, wasn't it?"

"Not only the Base, but Edmonton itself. The people don't know yet, but they will soon. Jessica and Max were sent to stop the video from being sent out. If they don't succeed, we will officially be in mortal danger. We didn't want the Prime Minister to know about the Mafia, but we have to be prepared for the worst this time around."

"Don't worry dad. We'll defeat them this time." Catherine stood on her tiptoes and kissed his scruffy cheek.

"I know darling." Mr Zonde smiled wistfully. "Now go kick some Russian butts!"

He chuckled as we passed him. Catherine took the drivers seat, after much persuasion on her part the night before, while I sat in the passenger.

Mr. Zonde leant on the open window. "Say hi to Lucas and mom for me."

Anne and I had made a pack to not tell Mr. Zonde that the leader of the Russians was his wife.

Before either of us could respond, he winked and said, "I'm one of the leaders so of course I've known for years. Now, go before your plane leaves."