Six

"Miss Medina, good morning, how was your lunch yesterday?" Anna asked as she came into my office.

"Fine, thanks"

"Mr Hemmings seems to have an interest in this company"

"He's not serious about it though. It'd just be another one of his play toys"

"I think he's taken a liking to you"

"Why would you say that?"

"He's just persistent with the company. Surely he would've given up by now. There must be some incentive"

"He can't like me anyway. He's married"

"Since when?"

"About six months ago" I gritted my teeth as I said it, remembering the stupid wedding I had to attend. I never understood their relationship to begin with. Luke was never one for relationships so when he proposed I was quite surprised. Kylie knew he wasn't a commitment type of guy yet she loves him and he supposedly loves her. When Lola was born, they drifted apart but that was long before they got married. They'd been on and off for years and Lola came from that. He used to be home and try to see them both but now he's always working so he's not at home with his family. "He's married to my friend" I told her, summarising, and she nodded in understanding.

"Oh, I hadn't realised. You must be close to him then?"

"He's been to my house with her once. I didn't invite him. We rarely talk when in social situations together"

"Well, I'll leave you to it then" She said, sensing the awkwardness that had been created.

****

"Miss Medina, is it alright if I go home now? I mean it is 8:30"

"Yeah, Anna, that's fine" I said, just wanting her to quit bothering me.

"OK, I'll see you tomorrow" I nodded as she left the office leaving me alone in the building.

*****
11:30 pm. Who in their right mind works this late? I stood up from my desk, leaving the room and going into the kitchen area to get a glass of water before going to the toilets. I came back a little over five minutes later to find the door open to my office when is shut it up. I stepped in and saw Luke sat in my chair.

"What the fuck are you doing here at this time? It's nearly midnight for crying out loud!"

"Just thought you might be in need of this" He said, pulling a bottle of wine out from under the table.

"Hope it didn't break the bank" I said as I walked over to him. He stood up from my chair and walked round to the other side so I could sit in my seat.

"Darling, you deserve the very best"

"So, why are you here?"

"Well, I figured since I'm married to your best friend that if I needed to confide in someone you'd be perfect. Also, I was driving home and saw the lights were still on and knew you were here" He said as he poured us a glass of red wine each.

"This better not be the only bottle you brought"

"Of course not, look under your desk" I did as he said and saw three more bottles in a bag.

"So, what do you need to talk to me about?"

"Kylie" I urged him to continue. "She's just- I don't know. She barely talks to me when I'm home which I know is hardly ever but I feel like we shouldn't be married, like our hearts aren't in it"

"And you're coming to me about this because?"

"You're best friend. You know how she is in relationships"

"But not in marriages. Besides I never wanted you two together in the first place. I warned her that you couldn't commit"

"I can't commit? She can't fucking commit more like"

"What are you on about?" I asked confused as he stood up.

"Don't worry, I should go"

"Luke Hemmings sit your ars in that chair right now" He did as I said and I went round to him, placing my hands of both arms of the chair. "Now tell me what you mean"

"I like when you play boss" He said biting his lip as his arms snaked around my waist.

"Luke, you're married" I said, moving his arms off of me.

"She doesn't seem to think so" He said, placing his hands back on my waist, twirling the material of my blouse between his fingers.

"What do you mean?"

"I came home a couple of months back to hear moaning"

"What did you do?"

"Left and went to work. I got drunk and trashed my office"

"Has it happened since?"

"Loads. We had a huge argument about it. I mean I know I've been a shitty husband and father and I'm rarely there but it's not because I don't want to be. I'm just not sure if she loves me anymore. I'm not sure if I love her anymore. I love Lola though. Kylie barely even takes care of her anymore, she just takes her to my mum's house"

"Fuck, Luke. I'm sorry for my idiotic friend"

"It's not like it's your fault"

"I know but I was putting the blame on you and it's not your fault. I can talk to her if you want?"

"There's no point. She said she wants to file for a divorce"

"Luke-"

"Can we just get drunk and let me forget about my personal life?"

"We can"