Thirty

Three and a half months later

"Dude, look how fat I am" I exclaimed as I stood in front of the mirror.

"One, you're eight months pregnant. Two, did you just call me dude?"

"Yes but you're my dude"

"I think this pregnancy is making you delusional. You don't even know what you're saying"

"Oh shut up"

"Feisty" Luke joked and I hit his arm. "So, your parents are coming over today?"

"No, they cancelled last night"

"That's like the third time"

"I don't take it personally. Plus, we've got a wedding to plan and she'll just be in the way and trying to take over"

"Mads, it's our wedding, what we say goes"

"I know, I know"

"So, when are you buying your dress?"

"Soon"

"Do I get to see it?"

"Uh, no. Superstitions, Lucas"

"More like tradition"

"You can see the bridesmaid dresses once we get them though"

"I'll agree to the compromise"

"I can't believe we're getting married in nine months"

"Me neither. Time's going to go so quick once the baby's born"

"Speaking of the baby. Names?"

"I have no idea, you?"

"I was thinking maybe Clara? Tia?"

"What about Nina?"

"I love that. What about Nina Marie Hemmings?"

"Sounds perfect"

"You really had no idea about names then?"

"I just wanted to see what you said first"

"Well, I think Nina is a beautiful name"

"I think Hemmings is pretty great too"

"So cocky"

***

"Hey, I'm gonna take Lola out to the park for an hour or so. Do you need anything?" Luke asked, coming into our bedroom.

"I'm good, thanks"

"I'll see you later" He kissed my cheek before leaving.

*****

"There you are. We wondered where you'd gone" I'd decided on giving up on work for the day and relocating to sitting on the beach outside our house.

"It's so pretty out here"

"I knew you'd love it"

"Thank you for everything" I said as he took a seat next to me on the sand and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"It's nothing"

"Our story has so many flaws in it but how happy I am now is insane" Luke smiled and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"I'm so glad I decided to stop and come see you that night"

"If we hadn't have got so drunk we would have never ended up like this"

"We have the weirdest fucking story but I've never been as good a place in my life as I am now"

"Me neither. I thought I was when I first married Kylie but things just weren't great. Marriage changed her"

"I can't wait for us to be married"

"Me either"

"It'll be the happiest day of my life"

"What about the day our child is born?"

"Good point. I don't think I can decide" Luke and I fell into silence for a while. "Have you ever surfed?"

"What?"

"Have you ever surfed?" I saw Luke's gaze follow mine, looking off into the distance to where there were a few surfers.

"A few times when I was younger. Ash and I used to do it together with his uncle. I am Australian remember"

"You barely have an accent anymore"

"I know. I lost it pretty quick"

"How old were you when you moved?"

"Around nine, I think. I went into middle school not knowing anyone"

"Have you been back home since you came here?"

"A few times, yeah. We should go and you can meet my grandparents and my other family"

"I'd love that"

"If it wasn't for my company and everyone being here, I probably would've moved back when I had a family. Even if it was just for the kids to grow up. I loved growing up there, it was so relaxed. As soon as I got here I feel like my life was mapped out"

"We should go there sometime though" Luke nodded.

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"Have you always lived here?"

"Yeah, grew up in LA and never left until now"

"That's cool"

"My family took up a whole two blocks"

"Seriously?"

"Yep. Rocsi lived left of me, Becky was right. Alex was two doors left and Sydney two doors right. Then loads of other cousins on the other block"

"Wow, you've got a big family"

"I told you there was a reason for starting the guest list now" Luke laughed as Lola ran out to us and sat on Luke's lap. I smiled as we looked out at the ocean, Luke's arm around Lola and his other hand resting on my stomach.