Twenty Eight

"You ready?" Luke asked as he came into the bedroom to see me laying down with Lola on top of me.

"I'm too tired" I complained as I wrapped my arms around Lola and shut my eyes.

"Babe, we need to leave. We'll be late"

"Can you go for me?"

"I don't think we can transfer the baby from you to me so I can go to the appointment"

"I know"

"Mummy, are you and daddy leaving?"

"Just for an hour or so. Uncle Calum and Auntie Rocsi are coming over to look after you" She nodded.

"Come on, sweetie, mummy and I need to leave" Luke said and Lola walked over to him. There was a knock at the door and I heard Calum and Rocsi's voices throughout the apartment. I got up and went out into the hallway.

"Hey" I greeted. "Thanks for doing this, we shouldn't be long"

"It's fine. You guys should get going" We nodded and I grabbed my car keys and phone.

"Babe, let's go" Luke said, taking my hand in his and guiding me out of my apartment. I tossed him the keys, letting him drive.

***

"So, I've been thinking about something" Luke said, looking ahead as we sat in traffic. I'd already had to call the hospital and tell them we were going to be late. I urged him to continue. "We've been staying at yours lately and you've only got two bedrooms"

"Is this going where I think it's going?"

"Maybe. Anyway, my apartment has three bedrooms so I was thinking that we could move into mine?"

"I was going to talk to you about that. I think that would be a great idea" He smiled as he continued driving. "I have a couple of conditions though"

"Which are?"

"I want to redecorate"

"Everywhere?"

"Not everywhere, just somethings. And anything linked to Kylie goes"

"Agreed" He said, nodding.

"Should I sell my apartment?"

"I mean we're pretty serious but if you don't want to that's fine"

"I think I'll sell it. Like you said, we're pretty serious now. We're having a child together for fucks sake"

"We're having a child together. It still feels surreal to me" Luke said to me.

"I know"

"I know this all happened so quick but I'm really happy now. Happier than I ever was with Kylie"

"I thought I was going to become a workaholic and be like that for the next 10 years"

"We still are workaholics"

"We've barely been at work the past few months"

"Yeah, but we've worked our asses off from home"

"True"

"Anyway, we deserve a break. All we do is work"

"I feel like you've made me relax a bit"

"Or maybe that's the fact that you're carrying a child"

"Oh shut up" I said playfully shoving him.

"Hey, I'm driving" He swatted my hand away but grabbed it and held it on the gear stick as he drove. "So, when are you starting maternity leave?"

"Not yet. I'm thinking in my final trimester"

"But won't you want more time off before the baby's born?"

"I'd rather have the time off after to spend time with my first born"

"I like your plan, Miss Medina. Maybe I should take paternity leave so I can be with you and my children"

"You should"

"I need to work though"

"I'm sure Calum and Ashton can manage without you for a few months"

"Who's taking your place?"

"I've put Rocsi and Sydney in charge"

"I'll talk to them" Luke said and I couldn't help but smile at the effort he was willing to put in with our child.

"Did you take time off for Lola?"

"Yeah, a month or so before and about six after I think. Kylie was barely around of course"

"She used to come see me sometimes and I'd tell her to go be with her family but she'd just get drunk"

"Do you think we'll find out the sex today?"

"I think so. They say around the four month mark and I'm slightly past that now" He nodded at my response. "You want to know then?"

"Yeah, I mean if you don't want to find out it's fine but-"

"I want to know, Luke"

"I'm glad"

"Plus once we know we can decorate the room and buy all the right stuff. And we won't have to paint the room yellow so it's gender neutral"

"I feel like you're going to go into organisation freak mode"

"More like beast mode" He rolled his eyes as we stopped at a traffic light.

****

"Miss Medina?" Luke and I stood up and followed the midwife into a private room. "So, you're four months and a half months in now. Half way through" Sarah said. Sarah was a friend of Luke's mum and happened to be a midwife which worked out well for us. "We're going to do the ultrasound and hopefully we'll be able to find out the sex. Would you like to know?" We both nodded and she stood up as I got comfortable on the bed. I lifted my top up, allowing her to spread the cold substance on my stomach. She set everything up before starting to move the scanner over my stomach. Luke took hold of my hand as we watched the small screen.

"I love you, Mads" I heard Luke whisper ever so quietly as our eyes remained locked on the screen. I raised his hand and pressed a kiss to the back of it.

"Everything looks healthy and normal" Sarah said and we nodded as she took her gloves off. "You want to know the sex then?"

"Please"

"Give me two minutes, I'm just going to get the ultrasound images for you and I'll be back" We nodded and watched her leave the room. I wiped the gel off my stomach with the paper towels before pulling my top down and taking a seat beside Luke rather than on the bed.

"Do you want a girl or boy?" I asked.

"I don't mind. I'd love to have another girl for Lola but I'd love a boy as well. You?"

"Same as you" I said as Sarah came back in.

"You guys ready?" She handed us a square envelope with the ultrasound pictures in. "Congrats, it's a girl" I turned to Luke and engulfed him in a hug.

"We're having a baby girl. Lola's going to be so happy"

"I love you, Maddie"

"I love you too, Luke"

"And I love the little girl inside of you"

"And the one at home" I said and he chuckled.