Eighteen

Maddie's POV

"Maddie!" I smiled as Luke put down his daughter, letting her run over to me. It had been two weeks since we'd got back from Paris and I hadn't said a word to Alex or Kylie.

"Hey, sweetie" I said picking her up and hugging her.

"Are we staying here again tonight?" She asked and I nodded.

"As far as I know you are"

"I like staying here. Can I play on your phone like last time?" I nodded again and she smiled. I set her down and watched as she took her small suitcase, dragging it behind her as she went over to the sofa.

"Hey" Luke said coming over to me. We'd been texting and calling one another but that was it. "I've missed you"

"Same here. You need to fill me in on everything"

"I will. At dinner"

"So you're going to take me out to dinner and tell me all about your wife?"

"Yeah. I know, romantic but trust me. We have something to celebrate once the filling in section is over"

"Whatever you say, Hemmings"

"So when are you taking me out?"

"Tonight"

"What about Lola?"

"My mums going to come and look after her here if that's alright"

"It's fine"

"You've got an hour and a half to get ready" He said and I went into my bedroom to start getting ready.

*****
Luke's POV

"Thanks for doing this, mum"

"It's alright. Just don't be back too late"

"Luke, is this alright or too much?" I turned to see Maddie walking towards us. She looked up from her dress and noticed my mum. "Oh, hi, Mrs Hemmings"

"Dear, call me Liz" Maddie smiled and nodded.

"Everything's set out but if you need something and can't find it, call me" I told her and she nodded.

"Now, you two go off on your date"

"We will. Thanks for looking after Lola" Maddie said and I smiled.

"You're welcome. I'll see you both later"

****

"Is it filling in time yet?" Maddie asked once our orders had been taken. I nodded.

"Kylie and I argued and she's gone to stay with Chris or whatever his name is and his daughter. She said I can have custody of Lola and that she doesn't want anything to do with her basically. She said she hopes that you'll be a good mother to Lola" I stopped to see Maddie's reaction.

"Um, I-I-"

"Don't worry, I'm not putting that much pressure on you yet" She smiled.

"I love Lola but I'm not ready to be her step-mum yet"

"I get that. Anyway, the good news is that she's not that mad because of everything she did"

"That's good"

"She signed the divorce papers the day after we got back. My lawyer got the process majorly sped up for us and now we're officially divorced"

"That's great news. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Because I wanted to take you out like this so I could tell you"

"Why?"

"Because I want to ask you something. Madison Medina, will you be my girlfriend?"

"You already know the answer" She said, leaning over the table to kiss me.

"This is so weird"

"How come?"

"I haven't had a girlfriend in over four years. I love you, Maddie"

"I love you too, Luke"

****

"Thanks for tonight, I enjoyed it"

"You're welcome" She smiled and kissed my cheek. "I didn't get a chance to say earlier, but you look beautiful tonight"

"Thank you. You look pretty good yourself"

"Come on, let's go be a happy family with my daughter and mum" She nodded and unlocked the door. "We're back" I shouted as we shut the door behind us. Maddie and I went into the living room. Maddie took a seat beside Lola. The little girl crawled onto her lap, showing her the several drawings she'd done.

"Luke, I need to talk to you before I leave" I nodded and took my mum into the kitchen.

"What's up?"

"First, how'd the date go?"

"Well, we're together now"

"I hope you're not rushing into things"

"I'm not"

"Anyway, our dinners tomorrow night, does Maddie know?"

"I told her it was happening but circumstances have changed since then"

"Invite her. Your brothers would love to meet her"

"I'll ask her but no promises"

"That's fine. Thank you. Will you bring Lola?"

"I don't know who will watch her if I don't bring her"

"Let me know what you decide. I should get going, I'll just say bye to Maddie and Lola" I nodded and followed her back into the living room. She hugged them both before i showed her out. "Please hold onto this one, Luke. She's the one for you, Kylie wasn't. Just don't let her go"

"I have no intentions of it" We said our goodbyes before she left. I walked back to the living room and stood leaning against the wall behind Maddie and Lola. Neither of them realised my presence.

"Maddie?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"What's happening with my mummy and daddy? Has mummy left?"

"You're a smart four year old, aren't you?" The small girl giggled. "Mummy loves you, she just won't see you as much anymore. It's for the best. When you're older you'll understand more"

"Daddy loves you not mummy"

"I um, I"

"I love you too, like daddy does" Maddie smiled and held my daughter closer.

"I love you too, sweetie" I smiled before walking over and sitting on the sofa with them.

"Daddy look at the pictures I drew" Lola said, putting them on my lap. I looked through all of them before stopping at the last. There were three people: a young girl, a man and a woman. "Look it's us" Lola pointed out. I looked and saw me and her. I looked at the woman confused. Kylie had blonde hair and Lola always made sure her hair was blonde in her drawings. However, this woman had brown hair.

"Is this meant to be your mum?" I asked her, pointing at the woman.

"No, that's Maddie" She smiled as she said it. I looked over at Maddie to see her smiling too.

"I love you" I mouthed across to Maddie.

"I love you too" She mouthed back. And for the first time since Lola was born, I haven't felt happier.