Twenty Six

"What time is everyone getting here?" I asked Luke as we stood at the island in the kitchen.

"11 ish I think" Luke had decided to invite everyone to ours instead of going to his parents for Lola's birthday. He'd also invited my parents and my brother.

"Are we going to say anything about me being pregnant?"

"I think we should but we'll do whatever you're comfortable with"

"I want to tell your parents. I'm just worried that they won't be happy about it. I mean your mum said she didn't want any more grandchildren too soon"

"It'll be fine. They love you and they'll love their grandchild. She was joking about not wanting more, she loves having kids around the house"

"OK, we'll tell them"

"What about your parents? They haven't even met me yet so telling them I'm the father of your child so soon might be an issue"

"They'll get over it. Remember, I'm already a disappointment" I told him. "Let's tell your parents first, then we'll tell mine"

"I could ask my family to get here earlier if you want? Well, my parents anyway"

"That sounds like a good idea"

"Come on, let's go wake Lola" Luke said and I nodded, taking his awaiting hand as we walked into her room. He sat one side of her whilst I sat the other. Her eyelids fluttered open with the movement of us sitting on the bed.

"Happy birthday!" Luke and I chorused as she rubbed her eyes and sat up. She smiled and leaned over to hug Luke then me.

"Happy birthday to me" She sang before pushing back the covers.

"Would you like your presents now?" She nodded excitedly and Luke grabbed the three large presents off the floor. She opened the first seeing loads of colouring books, paints and pens. She opened the next and took out the large plush brown bear and hugged it.

"I'm going to call it teddy" Luke and I chuckled at the simple name but let her continue unwrapping the last box. She gasped seeing it was filled with all the new polly pocket dolls, accessories, houses and more. Anything new from the brand, Luke had bought for her.

"There's more in the living room too" Luke told her and she stood up from the bed, running into the living room. We followed her and watched as she ripped the bows off the houses and shopping malls.

"Thank you" She said, running over to us and hugging our legs.

"You're welcome, sweetie. Do you want us to put them in your room?" I asked and she nodded. Luke and I moved the toys and helped Lola get dressed before going to get breakfast.

"How long until everyone gets here?"

"Half an hour" I replied.

"Yay!"

"Hey, is your mum coming early?" I asked Luke and he nodded. "I hope this goes OK"

"Babe, everything will be fine"

"You know, maybe we shouldn't do this today. It's Lola's birthday and-"

"Maddie, it'll all be fine, don't worry" He said, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing my forehead. God I hoped he was right.

****

"So, what was so important that we had to come early?" Liz asked. Luke's brothers had decided to come early as well.

"Um, Maddie and I have something to tell you" Luke started. He wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me closer.

"Don't tell us she's pregnant already, Luke" His mum said. I looked at Luke nervously and with a slight look of 'I told you we should worry'. He squeezed my waist and gave me a subtle smile.

"See I could tell you that but I'd be lying"

"Oh my god, that's amazing news! Congratulations" Liz said, hugging the two of us. His dad the same along with his brothers. Celeste came over and hugged me last.

"Congrats. You're going to be a great mum, you already are to Lola"

"Thank you. I hope I am"

"You will be. Things between you and Luke are moving pretty fast then"

"Yeah but we're both happy"

"I wish things with Jack and I would move a bit faster, we've been together for years" She said laughing and I joined in. The doorbell rang and Luke glanced over at me.

"Who's that?" Liz asked.

"Maddie's parents, I invited them" They all nodded and Luke walked over to me. "You want me to get the door with you?"

"I'll go" I told him and he nodded. I went to answer the door and opened it to see my parents and brother.

"Maddie!"

"Tom!" I replied and hugged him. We laughed at our childishness before releasing one another. We rarely saw each other with both of our jobs being so hectic. Tom's 26 and I'm 28 but we've always been close despite the age gap and me leaving home much before him.

"Madison" My mum said as I turned to them.

"Hi, mum, dad" I hugged the both of them and stood to the side letting them in the apartment. "Luke's in the kitchen with his family" I told them and they nodded, following me. As we entered the kitchen I took a deep breath. Luke's family had seemed to disappear into another room and had left Luke where I'd left him with a now present Lola. Luke looked up at the sound of footsteps and straightened his top out.

"Mum, dad, Tom, this is my boyfriend, Luke. Luke, meet my mum, Lisa, dad, Ryan and brother, Tom"

"It's nice to meet you all" Luke said shaking their hands.

"You too" My dad said, smiling as he shook Luke's hand.

"Who's this?" My mum asked, looking past us, at Lola who was playing with two of her new dolls on the island worktop. Luke picked her up and brought her over.

"This is my daughter, Lola"

"Oh, you have a daughter?" My dad questioned.

"Yeah, from my marriage. We got divorced a few months ago" Luke told him, well them.

"So, you guys got together after that then?" We nodded. "Was your marriage bad then?"

"It wasn't great. She cheated on me constantly. The best thing I got out of the marriage was Lola" Luke explained.

"And you're a mother to this kid now?" My mum asked me.

"She has a name, mum. But yeah, I am"

"Don't you think you should have your own kids before taking on someone else's?" She pushed.

"Lisa, leave it. Maddie's happy and that's what matters"

"But for your information, Luke and I planning on having kids. Actually, we'll have our first child together in about eight months time"

"Wait, you're pregnant?" Tom asked and we nodded. "Congrats, guys" He said, hugging Luke and I.

"You've only been together three months though"

"It wasn't planned but we're happy" I told them.

"As long as you're happy. Congrats, Mads" My dad said and I smiled as I hugged him.

"Good luck balancing two kids" My mum said before hugging me reluctantly.

"Let's go hang out the Lola and Luke's family then" I said, following Luke into the living room where everyone else was.