Twenty Seven

Three and a half months later

"I feel like crap" I voiced, walking into the kitchen to see Luke making coffee.

"I'm not surprised. You're four months pregnant and threw up twice this morning already"

"Urgh, when does morning sickness end?"

"You said in your first trimester, didn't yo-"

"I fucking know that, Luke"

"Mads, calm down. It's not good for you or the baby"

"I know, I know. Have we got any glazed donuts left?"

"No, you ate the last two yesterday"

"What about the chocolate peanut butter donuts?"

"You finished them two days ago"

"Have we got any caramel, peanut butter and chocolate ice cream?"

"Lola finished that" Luke said. "You know, I'm starting to see a pattern with your cravings"

"I know. I'm going to be so fat once I've given birth"

"And no one will care about that. Do you want me to go get some more ice cream and donuts?"

"Please" I told him. "I'll come too though" He nodded just as his phone started to ring.

"Hey, Cal, what's up?... Is it urgent?... Maddie's having a bad day so I stayed home... I know but... Calum, can't you sort it?... Fine, hold on" He put the call on hold. "There's some problems at work with one of the other companies we work with. Calum says I need to be there as soon as possible, do you mind?"

"Of course not, Luke. I feel bad enough that you stayed home already today to look after me. Listen, how about you go to work and I'll go get ice cream and donuts and pick Lola up from kindergarten?"

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure"

"OK, thank you, baby"

"It's nothing"

****

"Maddie?" I turned to see Kylie behind me in the queue at Starbucks. I'd felt a sudden urge for a caramel frappachino not long after leaving and made it my first stop.

"Oh, hey" I said, nervously. I hadn't seen her since we arranged to meet a few months ago and I'm sure she'd heard I was pregnant from someone.

"I heard you were pregnant, congrats. I assume it's Luke's unless you cheated on him"

"Thanks" I ignored her comment about it being Luke's, not sure whether it was meant to be a joke or she was serious.

"Give my congratulations to Luke too" I nodded. "Is it a girl or boy? Do you know?"

"We don't know yet. Luke wants another girl and Lola wants a sister. To be honest I'm happy either way" I told her. "Anything new with you?"

"James asked me to marry him"

"Seriously? It seems so quick"

"One, you got pregnant after three months and two, we were together for like eight months before Luke and I divorced"

"True. I'm assuming you said yes"

"I did" She said, flashing the ring on her left hand. "Jane's started calling me mum too now. Um, does uh Lola do that with you yet?"

"Sometimes. She did the day we found out I was pregnant and now she does from time to time. It's weird getting used to it so I'm kind of glad it's not constant" She nodded as my name was called out. I quickly got my drink before turning back to Kylie. "Well, I've got to go pick Lola up from school. I'll see you around"

"You too" She said as she got her hot drink of some sought. I left the shop and got in my car and started driving to Lola's school.

***

"Mummy, where are we going?"

"We just need to go to the donut place and then Walmart"

"Can we get more ice cream? I liked the nut butter one"

"You mean the peanut butter one" I chuckled slightly.

"Yeah, that was good" I looked in the rear view mirror seeing her content in watching everything outside the car as we went past. We got to the store and went inside. I held onto Lola's hand, stopping her from running off to look at the "pretty, sparkly doll houses" she always seemed to find. I picked up three tubs of ice cream and went to pay. We went to the donut place which was conveniently located on the same block. I told the woman what I wanted and let Lola get a couple herself before paying and leaving there too.

"We can go home now" I told a tired looking Lola.

"Good, I'm tired" She said, rubbing her eyes. "Is daddy at home?"

"He had to go to work this afternoon so he might be home"

"I hope he is" She said as I helped her step into the car. I got in myself and started the engine. "When will I have a brother or sister?"

"About six months"

"That's too long" She whined.

"Sorry, sweetie, but I can't speed it up" I chuckled as we fell into silence for the rest of the drive.