Chapter One

Stiles

It was dark here, wherever that was. I wasn't sure where I was exactly, but I knew it was dark and cold. I wrapped my arms around myself to attempt keeping my body warm, but that did no good. I felt helpless, standing here with nothing to tell me where to go, or how to get out. I didn't want to be here any longer. It was painful, for some reason. Every part of me ached when I took a step. Every muscle felt like it was being twisted around multiple times until I was crying in a heap on the floor, shaking so hard I couldn't breath. It wasn't just the cold, or the impact of hitting the floor. This pain was physical, but more so mentally. Like someone had ripped out my heart and torn it to shreds, and then put it right back in it's place. My heart felt like it was in a foreign place, and it didn't belong there. It was missing something. Someone. 

"Stiles," a voice called out through the dark. The voice was familiar. It sounded like everything I ever needed to hear. It sounded like the chance to be whole again. Arms wrapped around me all of the sudden, and I was being pulled into someone's lap. He cradled me to his chest and his fingers got wrapped up in my hair, tugging affectionately. "Stiles, I'm here."

A sudden wave of sobs broke over me and I let myself cry with my face buried in his neck. His thumb swept across my cheek, catching one of the many tears. His lips softly touched my forehead. "N-No, it can't be. Y-You left," I choked out, twisting my fingers into the fabric of his shirt. I couldn't let him go. I couldn't feel like this for one more second. I needed him. "It can't be you. You're gone."

Derek. He was gone. I saw him leave, felt the touch of his lips against mine before he was gone. Our last kiss. He left me behind. "I'm here now, Stiles. I'm here now."  He pressed his lips against the skin behind my ear, lingering for a second or two before pulling away."I'm so sorry. I never should have left you."

"But you did," I replied, cupping his cheeks with both of my hands, even though I couldn't see him. I didn't need to see him to know he was crying too. I could feel the wetness on his cheeks, pooling at the spot where my thumb was pressed against his skin. "You did leave me, Derek. I was a mess. I needed you, and you left me."

"I love you," Derek said simply. He leaned forward, brushed his lips across mine. I moved in towards his touch, ready to kiss him. I'd missed this. I had gone too long without the feel of Derek's lips. All of the simple touches, stolen kisses. I needed that. I needed him. "Wait, Stiles. I have to tell you-"

My eyes fluttered open as I clutched at the covers, realizing I was sleeping alone. Again. For what seemed like too many days. I still hadn't accepted the fact that Derek left me. I wasn't over him, and I wouldn't be over him for a long time. I wanted him to come back and kiss me, tell me it was the biggest mistake of his life. But he didn't do that. 

I could feel my breathing start to return to normal, just as Charlie opened my door with a little too much force, and it made me jump half way off the mattress, and I was breathing heavy again. "Damn it, Charlie. What're you doing? It's the middle of the night!" I half yelled, but I was too tired to actually make an effort. I'd let him stay with me, considering his brother was a traitor and he couldn't go back home. He didn't want to face his father. But Charlie wasn't the cleanest of people, and it was almost like taking care of a toddler. I was constantly cleaning up after him, driving him places, and he liked to wake me up in the middle of the night.