Chapter Four

Derek

Being with Stiles made the other problems in my life fade away, locked in the back of my mind where they wouldn't resurface. Looking at him made me forget about the war at hand. Touching him made me forget that his life was in danger because he was with me. Everything was okay until Elise showed up. I was happy for a short time, but I should've known it wasn't going to last.

Stiles nudged my shoulder, eyes still locked on the unconscious woman lying on the bed. "Derek, we can't just leave her there," Stiles mumbled. He wrapped his fingers around my wrist, pulling me out of my own thoughts. "Derek, come on. We have to do something. Tell someone?"

"I have to find Cora. Go find out where the girls are staying. Or Charlie, I don't care. Just go wait with them and-"

"No," Stiles interrupted, shaking his head. "How do I know that you won't get caught? What if you don't come back? Derek, I just got you, and I told you that I'm not going anywhere. I meant that. You left me for a month and I'm still not over that. I'm still trying to convince myself that you being here in front of me isn't a dream. So I'm coming with you." He crossed his arms over his chest, trying his best to look tough. He didn't, but sure was doing well in the guilt trip department. Besides, I wouldn't have been able to tell him no. Not when I felt terrible for everything I did to him.

"Let's go," I sighed, opening the door and walking out. Stiles followed close behind.

+++

I didn't know exactly where Cora had gone, but I figured if anyone did know, it would be Kara, or Lydia. They had talked to her, so that's where I went first. Stiles was quiet, and I didn't blame him. He had no idea what danger we were getting into, and I think that scared him. He was worried about me, and I was even more worried about him.

Kara opened the door after the third time my fist smacked against the wood, an annoyed look on her face. "What the hell do you want? You trying to break the door?" she snapped, rolling her eyes when I pushed past her into the room, and Stiles hesitantly followed behind. Kara slammed the door and then faced us, hands on her hips. "What is it? What have you two idiots gotten yourself into this time?"

"There's some chick on our bed and she's half dead, so there's that," Stiles admitted with a simple shrug. Kara didn't look surprised, and she only sighed because she knew something was going to go wrong. "We need to know where Cora is. Did she tell you where she was going?"

Kara bit at one side of her bottom lip, running a small hand through her blond curls as she tried to remember. She knew something, and I could tell she was trying to get it out, but she couldn't put a finger on it. "I think she said something about looking for a woman. I know she went south, if that helps any." She walked past us, picking her bag up off the floor and searching through it. "You guys should go find her. Lydia and I will stay here. She's in the shower anyway. There no point in telling her about this unless one of you gets hurt, so please hurry back. I don't want her to stress about your lives being in danger. If you need me, call. But please try not to need me."

"We'll be fine," I grunted, taking a few steps towards the door. "Thank you, Kara." She smiled half way and tucked a curl behind her ear before she gave a small nod. "We'll be back soon."

"Be careful," she murmured, but that was mostly to Stiles. We both nodded though, and then Stiles led the way out the door, me following behind him.

We started walking toward the exit, and I fell into step beside him. He sighed beside me, tugging at his hair with one hand and using his other to link his fingers with mine. "Do you know where she is?" he asked quietly. It was the most amazing thing to hear his voice after he had been gone for a month. A month wasn't that long, and I always remembered his voice in my head, but hearing it so close to me gave me this stupid feeling in my stomach.