Chapter 8 - Road Trip

"Okay, you don't have to tell me where we're going, but can you at least tell me what I should wear?" I asked turning in my seat to look at Slate.

"I knew you'd figure it out as soon as I got onto the highway. And how the hell am I supposed to know? I know nothing about female clothing." Slate replied giving me a look that said 'isn't that obvious?'

"'I'm not asking you to choose out my outfit, I just need you to narrow it down for me. Do I dress like I'm going to a club or like I'm going to the movies?" I asked returning the same look he had just given me.

"Less casual than the club, but dress hot."

"See? That wasn't so hard, was it?" I said squeezing Slate's cheek.

"Don't do that." He said, his bad boy facade returning.

"Don't do what? This?" I said poking his cheek again with my finger but giving him an innocent look.

"Willow, I swear to god if you touch my cheek again, I will bite off your finger." Slate said his face completely serious, which caused me to break out into a fit of laughter.

"You're so cute when you're angry." I said and Slate knew I said it just to annoy him but I could tell that it still had an effect on him by the way he puffed out his chest a bit more than usual and how he pressed down on the gas a little harder. I sighed to myself in content, men and their egos...

The silence was soon broken when Kanye West's "Stronger" started blasting through the car. As soon as I heard the first line I started singing along. I mean who doesn't love some throwback Kanye? Slate sang along too not answering his phone because he didn't want to stop the song.

"Let's get lost tonight

You could be my black Kate Moss tonight

Play secretary, I'm the boss tonight

And you don't give a f*ck what they all say right?

Awesome, the Christian and Christian Dior

Damn, they don't make 'em like this anymore

I ask 'cause I'm not sure"

"Does anybody make real sh*t anymore?" I sang realizing the song had already stopped, meaning Slate had finally answered the call. I turned and stuck up my middle finger at him before mouthing 'you stopped it right before my favorite part'. He only gave me an amused smile in return.

"We're about 15 minutes away." Slate said into the phone. I gave him a questioning look and he mouthed 'Christian' in reply. After a few more short answers he hung up.

Deciding I needed to change, I bent down so that I could look through my duffle bag that was sitting at my feet. After a minute of searching, I finally found my favorite pair of heavily ripped jeans and a white knit crop top.

I pulled off the high socks and pulled on my high waisted jeans. I knew I was being a tease but I liked the way Slates hand tightened on the wheel when his dress shirt that I was wearing rode up a little too high. His knuckles were white but he kept his gaze on the road ahead.

When I unbuttoned the shirt he'd given me, his hot gaze swung over to me and he looked so goddamn devilish with his bottom lip between his teeth that it took everything in me to look away and ignore my backstabbing mind that was gonna get me into a fùcked up situation because I couldn't goddamn see passed this ridiculous attraction for Slate.

I put on the new top, trying to ignore the unignorable. I pulled down the sun visor and used the little mirror to check if my makeup was still good. Thankfully I used expensive makeup so everything was still intact but I re-applied my red lipstick since it had faded slightly.