Chapter 28 - Trouble

(If you guys don't remember what happened last chapter maybe just go skim over it! Sorry that's my fault this update took so damn long to come!)

And with a crooked smile making it's way to my lips I let myself succumb to the darkness that had been trying to capture me my entire life.

But then a pair of cold hands were on my feverish cheeks, pulling me back. They were always pulling me back. Stopping me from giving up when I was so fücking close to. My eyes fluttered open and for a second the beautiful azure eyes looking back at me made my heart stutter but then I was reminded of everything Andrew had said and the anger and sadness came rushing back and suddenly the darkness didn't look too bad after all.

I sucked in slow breaths trying to steady myself, I had grey spots swarming my vision since I had nearly just blacked out from a loss of oxygen.

"Are you okay?" Slate asked worriedly, as he ran his thumb lightly across my cheekbone.

"I'm tired." I mumbled back as I started to feel lightheaded again and let my eyes flutter close.

"Willow, open your eyes baby. Don't fall asleep on me." Slate said putting his cold hands on my forehead to cool me down.

It took all my energy to open my eyes again but I remembered what the doctor had told me when they diagnosed me with low blood pressure. He'd said that it (along with my migraines) made me easily susceptible to passing out but that I had to try and resist it whenever possible because it wasn't healthy to let my body shut down like that.

"I'm pissed at you." I said, just after Slate placed his forehead against mine, making my body vibrate and tingle at his touch. He pulled his eyebrows together in confusion and I could tell he was thinking hard, trying to sort through all the things he could have possibly done to make me mad. I decided to spare him the effort. "Andrew told me."

That only made him scrunch his forehead in confusion even more as he pulled his forehead a few inches away from mine. It was clear that he had no clue what I was talking about and my certainty about what Andrew had said seemed to be draining by the second.

"The bet..." I said hesitantly, almost questioningly as I stared in to his eyes. When the look of clarity I had expected to see in his eyes didn't come, I let out a sigh of relief. I was wrong. Andrew had lied and I'd taken his statement and ran with it. I wasn't sure whether that said something about him or me.

"Hold up, what the fück did that bastard say about me?" Slate gritted out between clenched teeth as soon as the puzzle piece fell into place. He kept his hand on my cheek as if he didn't want to let me go but I watched as his other fist clenched at his side.

His breathing was ragged as he tried to get his anger under control. I could tell he was itching to run inside and beat up Andrew but he resisted the urge and stayed kneeled in front of me.

"Willow, it's bullshit. I promise, I wouldn't do that—" Slate started to say, looking aggravated and frustrated at himself as he rambled on trying to find the right words in the midst of his angry haze.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and immediately he let out a small sigh as he buried his head in my hair.

"I believe you." I whispered and I felt him leave a soft kiss on my neck in reply.

I grabbed his shaking hands in an attempt to calm him down.

"I'm trying really hard not to go in there and kill him." Slate said his voice strained and icy. The warm breath that hit my cheek at his words gave me goosebumps. His strong hand was gripping my thigh firmly but it wasn't painful and I was glad to be his anchor.