Chapter 27 - Crooked Smile

Just as I was pulling on my black velvet pumps that go perfectly with my royal blue bodycon dress, I felt my phone vibrate in my hand. The screen was lit up displaying a text from Mia that read "here".

I shouted a quick goodbye to Jace (who was in the shower) and made my way out of the hotel room and into the elevator. When I stepped out of the hotel and into the moonlit parking lot, I saw Mia's sky blue jeep wrangler parked on the curb.

I walked over to her car happily. There was a beautiful humility that came along with driving around in such a car. Not to say that Jeep's are particularly cheap (because they're not), or that I'm ungrateful that I've grown up surrounded by the most luxurious cars in the market but I do love the simplicity of her car. Because of the current decently warm weather, she had removed her doors and it was fair to say I'd never felt more free in my life then when we'd gone cruising down the deserted country roads the other day, blasting Bryson Tiller, bathing in the bright sun and revelling in the refreshing wind.

I walked over to her car and ungracefully climbed into the passenger seat while gripping the bottom of my dress so I wouldn't flash anyone. I saw Mia laughing her ass off as I struggled and I nudged her shoulder.

"It's hard." I said defensively which only seemed to make her laugh harder. I pulled my dress down again before finally sitting down in the seat properly.

"I think that Valet guy over there is thinking the same thing." Mia said, her laughter only increasing as she nodded her head towards someone behind me. I turned my head just in time to see the guy—who I'd failed to notice on my way out—hurriedly drop his cigarette to the ground and place his two hands over his crotch. Mia's laughter echoed throughout the open car but I didn't find it nearly as funny.

The man was standing 10 feet away at most and he wore a black shirt that read VALET in large white print. He looked to be about 60 years old and when our eyes locked I gave him the most forced smile I could muster and sent him an awkward half-wave, seriously regretting wearing nothing but a black lace thong under my dress.

"Drive, drive, drive, drive." I said trying to keep my voice calm but I wasn't sure how much more awkward this situation could get, and more importantly I wasn't sure how much longer I could handle the embarrassment. Despite her laughing fit, Mia managed to turn on the engine and press down on the gas. Only when we were safely out of the parking lot was I able to let out a relieved sigh.

"I guess I didn't do that great of a job at not flashing anyone after all." I said causing Mia to laugh even harder. What kind of monster enjoys their friends embarrassment this much?

Okay I probably would too.

I finally took notice that Mia was wearing a beautiful light orange bodycon dress that went perfectly with her flawless caramel skin.

"Girl, you look amazing." I said whistling causing Mia to giggle.

"Me? You look like you just stepped off of a runway in Milan." She said as her laughing fit finally died down.

"Man, you're good for my ego."' I said teasingly just as Cold Water by Major Lazer & Justin Bieber came on the radio.

"Ahhh I f*cking love this song." Mia announced with a wide smile as she turned the volume to it's max. And thus began the best car jam out of all time.

**************************

It didn't take long to get to the party. Matt—the guy who had invited me to the party last week—happened to live really close to my parents house (which is unfortunately close to my hotel) and frankly, not that big of a surprise considering it's the richest area in the city and—not to stereotype—but he definitely looks like he comes from money.