Chapter 31 - Answers

I woke up to the sound of my phone vibrating on the bedside table, groaning inaudibly at the fact that I'd been cursed with being a light sleeper. I slipped out from under Slate's arm, quickly answering the call before it went to voicemail.

When Jace was in prison I was constantly waiting for calls and it became a habit of mine to never miss one. I guess I had yet to get used to the fact that things were different now.

West's voice on the other end of the line made me doubt the last part. Or maybe it was a testament to how different things were, but the dread that pooled into my stomach told me it wasn't a good thing.

I stepped out onto the balcony, immediately taken back by how beautiful the view was with the sun rising over the large mountains.

West's voice was in my ear again, repeating my name and interrupting my happiness. I turned my head back slightly to watch Slate's sleeping figure through the glass patio door and anger sparked in my veins.

Something was always interrupting my happiness.

"What do you want?" I snapped, pulling the blanket I'd grabbed off the bed on my way out, around me.

"I'm done fùcking with you Willow, I'm done helping him. We need to talk. Now." His words were heavy and rushed and the pool of dread in my stomach was suddenly an ocean. My head was spinning and I had to lean against the railing to calm the nausea it was causing.

"What are you talking about West?" I asked, knowing the surface level question wasn't going to get me any of the answers I needed. But fùck, this was West I was talking to. This was the man who'd hit me with a gun, slammed me against a wall and used me like a puppet. Fûck his help.

"Everything that's been going on, I need to explain it to you. I'm going to help you, but the clocks ticking, time's running out and you're on a fûckin' road trip playing Barbie and Ken."

"I don't trust you West." I snapped into the phone angrily.

"Did I ask you to? I just want you to hear me out." His voice held its usual irritated edge but it actually seemed like he was trying to tamper it down for me. I inhaled a long breath trying to calm myself down so I could think rationally. I didn't trust West but the other option was worse, I knew that. Whoever was higher than him was worse no doubt and I hadn't come up with any genius solutions of my own to solve my problem.

Unless this was a setup.

The thought flitted across my mind briefly but I found myself shrugging at the idea. At least it would all be over then. Succumbing to whatever darkness it was, seemed better than this pattern I was currently stuck in of having my joy ripped away from under me like a carpet, leaving me on my aśs again and again.

"Fùck West, fine. When?" I asked, defeat settling onto my shoulders like a tattoo. It felt permanent.

"As soon as you can get here. I'll text you my address." The line clicked and I sunk to my knees on the balcony, hugging my stomach. Everything's okay Willow. You're okay.

I sat out there for a good twenty minutes, my cowardice keeping me from going to wake up Slate and telling him I had to leave.

We'd had an amazing night and now I couldn't even think about it for fear I'd fûck everything up just to stay here with him a little longer. There'd be time for that after I sorted everything out.

I came back into the room quietly and pulled on a pair of jeans and a cropped hoodie. I stared at Slate's peaceful figure laying in the queen size bed for a couple seconds before I gave in and slid back into the bed and under the covers next to him. At this point, 15 minutes wouldn't make that big of a difference.